White's Clutch Homer Sends Travs into Break with Win
Midland, TX-Evan White broke a tie in the eighth inning with a two-run home run buoying the Arkansas Travelers on their way to a 5-1 win over the Midland RockHounds. The Travs win the series in Midland and finished their roadtrip with a 5-2 record. Justus Sheffield was the winning pitcher working seven innings and striking out nine. He limited the 'Hounds to just one run despite allowing eight hits. Sam Delaplane and Wyatt Mills each worked a perfect inning out of the bullpen to close it.
Moments That Mattered
* Three straight singles with two out in the fifth got the Travs on the board. Aaron Knapp and Mike Ahmed had the first hits before Donnie Walton's single to right-center knocked in the run.
* Walton led off the eighth with a double before White blasted his homer over the wall in left. Joseph Odom drove home an insurance run later in the inning.
Notable Travs Performances
* SS Donnie Walton: 2-3, 2 BB, 2 runs, 2B, RBI
* RF Kyle Lewis: 3-4, BB, 2B, RBI
* LHP Justus Sheffield: Win, 7 IP, 8 H, R, 9 K
News and Notes
* White's homer extended his hitting streak to 22 games.
* Walton notched his sixth multi-hit game in his last eight contests.
* Arkansas is a season-best 22 games over .500 (48-26) and is now 27-12 on the road this season.
The Travs will take three days off for the All-Star Break before resuming Texas League play on Thursday night at Dickey-Stephens Park against Tulsa. Right-hander Justin Dunn (5-3, 3.46) is set to make the start against righty Justin De Fratus (4-2, 4.54). First pitch is at 7:10 and it is Star Wars Night at Dickey-Stephens Park. The game will also be broadcast on the Sports Animal 920, the First Pitch App, TuneIn radio and milb.tv.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from June 23, 2019
- Godoy and Cards Slam Hooks, 12-5 - Springfield Cardinals
- Hooks Fall Sunday as Teams Head to All-Star Break - Corpus Christi Hooks
- White's Clutch Homer Sends Travs into Break with Win - Arkansas Travelers
- Tulsa Edges Past Amarillo in Series Finale - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Drillers Beat Amarillo, Head into All-Star Break - Tulsa Drillers
- Sunday's Game Postponed by Rain - Frisco RoughRiders
- Friedrichs Shines in Win over Travelers - Midland RockHounds
- Naturals Game Postponed on June 23rd - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Hooks Outlast Cardinals in 11-Inning Marathon, 6-4 - Springfield Cardinals
- Duarte's Homer Gives Hooks 6-4 Win in 11 - Corpus Christi Hooks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.