Hooks Fall Sunday as Teams Head to All-Star Break
CORPUS CHRISTI - The Hooks couldn't complete the four-game sweep of the Springfield Cardinals, falling 12-5 Sunday at Whataburger Field as the teams hit the Texas League All-Star Break.
George Springer, playing in his final rehab game with the Hooks while recovering from a hamstring injury, went 1-for-3 with a walk Sunday as the designated hitter. He was pulled as scheduled after a groundout in the sixth inning.
Overall, Springer was 4-for-10 with four walks, three runs scored, two homers and five RBIs over his three games with Corpus Christi.
Pitching on both sides was erratic in the finale. Yohan Ramirez (L, 0-3) walked four and hit three batters over 4.0 innings for the Hooks, surrendering four runs on three earned. He was matched by Springfield's Johan Oviedo, who walked three and allowed a solo homer to Lorenzo Quintana in his 2.0 innings of work.
Trailing 5-2 in the sixth, J.B. Bukauskas gave up a grand slam to Jose Godoy (4) to break the score open. Colton Shaver tried to get the Hooks back in it with a three-run homer - his second of the day for his first Double-A homers - to make it 10-5. But Justin Toerner tacked on a two-run shot in the eighth to put the game away.
Roel Ramirez (W, 2-1) threw 2.0 scoreless innings to earn the win.
Hooks pitching walked eight with three hit batters, while Hooks hitting struck out 14 times in the contest.
The Hooks will have the next three days off as they send four representatives - Abraham Toro, Bryan Abreu, Carlos Sanabria and Colin McKee - to Tulsa for the Texas League All-Star Game. Corpus Christi returns to action Thursday in Amarillo.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from June 23, 2019
- Godoy and Cards Slam Hooks, 12-5 - Springfield Cardinals
- Hooks Fall Sunday as Teams Head to All-Star Break - Corpus Christi Hooks
- White's Clutch Homer Sends Travs into Break with Win - Arkansas Travelers
- Tulsa Edges Past Amarillo in Series Finale - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Drillers Beat Amarillo, Head into All-Star Break - Tulsa Drillers
- Sunday's Game Postponed by Rain - Frisco RoughRiders
- Friedrichs Shines in Win over Travelers - Midland RockHounds
- Naturals Game Postponed on June 23rd - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Hooks Outlast Cardinals in 11-Inning Marathon, 6-4 - Springfield Cardinals
- Duarte's Homer Gives Hooks 6-4 Win in 11 - Corpus Christi Hooks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.