Whitecaps FC Name Marc Dos Santos New Head Coach
VANCOUVER, BC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced on Wednesday the appointment of Marc Dos Santos as the club's head coach. Dos Santos has agreed to a three-year contract through 2021.
A native of Montréal, Quebec, Dos Santos brings over a decade's worth of coaching experience at the professional and amateur levels, including successful stops in Portugal, Canada, Brazil, and the United States. As a head coach at the professional level, Dos Santos has made four championship final appearances, winning the 2009 USL First Division and the 2017 NASL Soccer Bowl.
Most recently, Dos Santos worked in MLS under Bob Bradley as an assistant coach in 2018, helping LAFC set an MLS record for most points earned by an expansion side in an inaugural season.
"Marc is a confident, driven leader who has proven himself as a winner at every level he has been tested," said Whitecaps FC co-owner Jeff Mallett. "We were impressed by his ability to deliver a clear plan that optimizes all of our resources to measurably improve the club in critical areas. Bringing in Marc positions the club to meet our goals of competing regularly with the best in the league and to win trophies for Vancouver's loyal supporters, starting first and foremost with the MLS Cup."
Whitecaps FC head coach Marc Dos Santos
124W-81L-70D record as a head coach at the professional level in North America
Helped LAFC set an MLS record for most points earned by an expansion side in an inaugural season as an assistant coach in 2018
Won the 2009 USL First Division championship and 2017 NASL Soccer Bowl
Two-time NASL Coach of the Year in 2015 and 2017, NASL Soccer Bowl championship in 2017
Fluent in English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish
"We are excited to welcome Marc Dos Santos to our club," said Whitecaps FC president Bob Lenarduzzi. "It's not often that you find a coach who seeks out the unique learning opportunities and challenges that Marc has accumulated around the world. We believe having Marc now in place as head coach, combined with the additional resources we are putting into our scouting and recruitment department, will set up the club for consistent success."
Dos Santos will manage the first-team roster, including player transactions, and will work closely with Academy technical director Craig Dalrymple, while reporting to vice president of soccer operations Greg Anderson.
"Whitecaps FC are a club with a rich history, from the NASL days, to CSL, USL and now in MLS," said Dos Santos. "It's a club with an incredible potential to grow and become an example for others. I believe in the structure the club has and in the passion of the people involved. I look forward to meeting with our supporters and listening to them, sharing in their dreams and ambitions. They are a very big part of what this club is all about, and together we will meet the challenge of becoming a championship calibre club."
Dos Santos, 41, began his coaching education in Portugal after coming through the youth academy of SC Beira-Mar and playing in the Portuguese third and fourth tiers.
As a head coach, Dos Santos has won championships with Trois-Rivieres Attak FC (2007 Open Canada Cup champions, 2008 Canadian Soccer League Division and regular season title), Montreal Impact (2009 USL First Division championship), SE Palmeiras U-15 (2012 Copa do Brasil), Ottawa Fury FC (2015 NASL Fall Season title), Swope Park Rangers (2016 USL Western Conference Champions), and San Francisco Deltas (2017 NASL Soccer Bowl Championship).
Dos Santos, who holds a UEFA A coaching license, has compiled a 124W-81L-70D record as a head coach at the professional level, and was twice named NASL Coach of the Year in 2015 and 2017.
The dual Canadian-Portuguese citizen spent 2012 and 2013 in Brazil, coaching FC Primeira Camisa U-20, SE Palmeiras U-15, and serving as technical director for Desportivo Brasil.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 7, 2018
- Sounders FC Encourages Fans to Arrive Early for Thursday's Pivotal Home Match - Seattle Sounders FC
- Aaron Long Named 2018 MLS Defender of the Year - New York Red Bulls
- Columbus Crew SC's Gyasi Zardes Named Major League Soccer's 2018 Comeback Player of the Year - Columbus Crew SC
- Columbus Crew SC Forward Gyasi Zardes Named MLS Comeback Player of the Year - MLS
- Sounders FC Defender Chad Marshall Undergoes Successful Surgery - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Forward Ola Kamara Called up for International Duty - LA Galaxy
- New York Red Bulls' Aaron Long Named MLS Defender of the Year - MLS
- D.C. United Defender Taylor Kemp Retires from Professional Soccer - D.C. United
- Whitecaps FC Name Marc Dos Santos New Head Coach - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- Whitecaps FC Announce First Roster Moves Ahead of 2020
- RSL snap 'Caps three-match undefeated streak in season finale
- Instant classic: 'Caps defeat Galaxy in dramatic high-scoring affair
- Winners Announced for 2019 Whitecaps FC BMO Player Awards Ceremony
- Montero scores late again as 'Caps draw 1-1 vs. Columbus Crew SC