D.C. United Defender Taylor Kemp Retires from Professional Soccer
United defender Taylor Kemp announced today that he has retired from professional soccer after six seasons with the Black-and-Red.
The defender scored three goals and recorded 14 assists in 101 MLS regular season games and also scored one goal and recorded an assist in six postseason appearances for United. He is one of only 24 players in club history to have reached the 100 game milestone.
"We want to thank Taylor for his years of commitment to the club and for being a model professional throughout the course of his career," Dave Kasper, United General Manager and VP of Soccer Operations, said. "We wish Taylor the best of luck in the next chapter of his life."
The 28-year-old was selected 17th overall by the Black-and-Red in the 2013 MLS SuperDraft after excelling at the University of Maryland. Kemp made his professional debut for the club in the 1-1 draw with Sporting Kansas City on May 19, 2013 and scored his first career goal for United in a 3-1 win over the Houston Dynamo on Oct. 12, 2014.
Kemp helped the team win the 2013 Lamar Hunt US Open Cup after making two appearances in the tournament that year.
Player: Taylor Kemp
Birthplace: Highlands Ranch, CO
Country: United States
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 7, 2018
- Sounders FC Encourages Fans to Arrive Early for Thursday's Pivotal Home Match - Seattle Sounders FC
- Aaron Long Named 2018 MLS Defender of the Year - New York Red Bulls
- Columbus Crew SC's Gyasi Zardes Named Major League Soccer's 2018 Comeback Player of the Year - Columbus Crew SC
- Columbus Crew SC Forward Gyasi Zardes Named MLS Comeback Player of the Year - MLS
- Sounders FC Defender Chad Marshall Undergoes Successful Surgery - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Forward Ola Kamara Called up for International Duty - LA Galaxy
- New York Red Bulls' Aaron Long Named MLS Defender of the Year - MLS
- D.C. United Defender Taylor Kemp Retires from Professional Soccer - D.C. United
- Whitecaps FC Name Marc Dos Santos New Head Coach - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- Loudoun United FC Lose 4-1 to Hartford Athletic on the Road
- D.C. United Sign Paul Arriola to Multi-Year Contract Extension
- D.C. United Fall to Montreal in Final Match of the MLS Is Back Tournament
- Loudoun United FC Fall 3-1 to Hartford Athletic on the Road
- D.C. United Draw 1-1 against New England in the Second Match of the MLS Is Back Tournament