Sounders FC Defender Chad Marshall Undergoes Successful Surgery
SEATTLE, WASH. - Sounders FC today announced that defender Chad Marshall underwent successful right knee surgery to repair a meniscus tear suffered in the early part of Sunday's match vs Portland. The lateral meniscectomy procedure was performed by Dr. Michael Morris on the afternoon of Tuesday, November 6 at Virginia Mason Medical Center in Seattle. Marshall is beginning rehabilitation immediately following the procedure.
Marshall, the only three-time MLS Defender of the Year in league history, this season anchored a defensive unit that ranked second in the league in fewest goals allowed (37) in 2018. He matched a career high and was tied for second among MLS defenders with four goals, including one match-winner. On October 21 at Houston, he became just the fourth player - and second field player - in league history to appear in 400 games and pass the 35,000 minutes-played mark. Marshall currently ranks second all-time among outfield players with 396 career starts and 35,123 minutes played, trailing only Kyle Beckerman in both categories.
After a 2-1 loss in the first leg of the Western Conference Semifinals at Portland, Sounders FC hosts the return leg of the two-match series on Thursday, November 8 on the Xbox Pitch at CenturyLink Field (7:30 p.m. PT / FS1, TSN, TVA, 950 KJR AM, El Rey 1360 AM). Bearing in mind the away goals tiebreaker, Sounders FC would advance to the Western Conference Championship with a shutout win or a two-goal margin of victory in Thursday's second leg. A draw or loss would see Portland through, while a 2-1 Seattle win on Thursday would force extra time (and penalty kicks if necessary).
Images from this story
Seattle Sounders FC Defender Chad Marshall
(Kara Durrette / Seattle Sounders FC)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 7, 2018
- Sounders FC Encourages Fans to Arrive Early for Thursday's Pivotal Home Match - Seattle Sounders FC
- Aaron Long Named 2018 MLS Defender of the Year - New York Red Bulls
- Columbus Crew SC's Gyasi Zardes Named Major League Soccer's 2018 Comeback Player of the Year - Columbus Crew SC
- Columbus Crew SC Forward Gyasi Zardes Named MLS Comeback Player of the Year - MLS
- Sounders FC Defender Chad Marshall Undergoes Successful Surgery - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Forward Ola Kamara Called up for International Duty - LA Galaxy
- New York Red Bulls' Aaron Long Named MLS Defender of the Year - MLS
- D.C. United Defender Taylor Kemp Retires from Professional Soccer - D.C. United
- Whitecaps FC Name Marc Dos Santos New Head Coach - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Following 4-2 Victory in Chicago, Sounders FC Begins Season 3-0-0 for the First Time Since 2009
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at Chicago Fire - March 16, 2019
- Sounders FC Goalkeeper Trey Muse Called into U.S. U-20 Men's National Team
- Lodeiro and Svensson Called into International Duty
- Sounders FC Announces 2019 Matchday Themes