Westchester Knicks, NBA G League to Begin Play at Disney in February
NEW YORK - As announced by the NBA G League today, the Westchester Knicks, the official NBA G League affiliate of the New York Knicks, will be one of 17 G League teams to take the court in February at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex at Walt Disney World Resort near Orlando, Florida. The top eight teams will advance to a single-elimination playoff.
"We worked closely with our teams, the Basketball Players Union, and public health experts to develop a structure that allows our teams to gather at a single site and safely play," said NBA G League President Shareef Abdur-Rahim. "We are thrilled to get back to basketball and to fulfill our mission as a critical resource for the NBA in developing players, coaches, referees, athletic trainers and front-office staff."
NBA teams without an NBA G League affiliate participating in Orlando will have the opportunity to assign roster players and transfer Two-Way players using the league's flexible assignment and Two-Way rules. The full list of the 17 participating NBA G League teams is below.
"Our Cast Members are eager to work with the NBA family again and welcome in the next round of talented basketball players to compete at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex," said Faron Kelley, vice president of Disney Sports. "Most importantly, Disney and the NBA G League will continue our shared focus on the necessary safety protocols for the well-being of the players, coaches, staff and everyone supporting this event."
G League Ignite, the recently launched team for elite NBA Draft-eligible players coached by former NBA player and head coach Brian Shaw, will play its first games against NBA G League competition in Orlando. Different from a traditional season, Ignite will be eligible to advance to the playoffs at Walt Disney World Resort due to the unique circumstances of this year.
Players, coaches, team and league staff living on the NBA G League's campus at Walt Disney World Resort will be guided by comprehensive leaguewide health and safety protocols, which are based on the core principles of social distancing, mask wearing, hand hygiene and COVID-19 testing.
The NBA G League heads to ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex at Disney just a few months after the NBA successfully restarted the 2019-20 NBA regular season at that venue last summer, which culminated with the Los Angeles Lakers winning the NBA title.
The complete 2021 NBA G League game and broadcast schedule will be announced at a later date.
The 16 other participating NBA G League teams are, Agua Caliente Clippers (LA Clippers), Austin Spurs (San Antonio Spurs), Canton Charge (Cleveland Cavaliers), Delaware Blue Coats (Philadelphia 76ers), Erie BayHawks (New Orleans Pelicans), Fort Wayne Mad Ants (Indiana Pacers), Greensboro Swarm (Charlotte Hornets), Iowa Wolves (Minnesota Timberwolves), Lakeland Magic (Orlando Magic), Long Island Nets (Brooklyn Nets), Memphis Hustle (Memphis Grizzlies), Oklahoma City Blue (Oklahoma City Thunder), Raptors 905 (Toronto Raptors), Rio Grande Valley Vipers (Houston Rockets), Salt Lake City Stars (Utah Jazz), and the Santa Cruz Warriors (Golden State Warriors).
In its first season under the guidance of head coach Derrick Alston, Westchester finished 17-24 (.415) slotting it 12th in the Eastern Conference and fifth in the Atlantic Division. Ivan Rabb finished first in the league hauling 12.1 rebounds per game. Kenny Wooten's 3.6 blocks per game were second-best league wide while Lamar Peters concluded the season fifth in assists (7.3).
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 8, 2021
- Wolves Acquire Returning Player Rights of Tyler Cook and Oklahoma City Blue's 2020-2021 First Round Pick - Iowa Wolves
- NBA G League 2020-21 Draft Scheduled for January 11 - G League
- Wizards and Go-Go to Flex-Assign Players to Erie BayHawks - Capital City Go-Go
- Raptors 905 to Participate in NBA G League Return to Play for 2021 Season. - Raptors 905
- Heat Statement on NBA G League Season - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Stockton Kings Season Update - Stockton Kings
- Santa Cruz Warriors to Participate in 2020-21 NBA G League Season in Orlando - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Westchester Knicks, NBA G League to Begin Play at Disney in February - Westchester Knicks
- Stars to Participate in NBA G League Single-Site Campus - Salt Lake City Stars
- Blue to Participate in Upcoming G League Season - Oklahoma City Blue
- NBA G League to Begin Play at Disney in February - Lakeland Magic
- Statement from San Antonio Spurs General Manager Brian Wright - Austin Spurs
- Statement from the Maine Red Claws - Maine Red Claws
- Wolves Statement on NBA G League's Decision for 2021 Season - Iowa Wolves
- RGV Vipers to Participate in 2020-21 NBA G League Season - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- South Bay Lakers Statement on 2021 NBA G League Season - South Bay Lakers
- Canton Charge Statement on 2020-21 NBA G League Season - Canton Charge
- Long Island Nets to Play in 2021 NBA G League Season in Orlando - Long Island Nets
- Agua Caliente to Participate in 2021 NBA G League Season in Orlando - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Delaware Blue Coats to Participate in 2021 NBA G League Season - Delaware Blue Coats
- Grand Rapids Drive Opt out of 2020-21 NBA G League Season - Grand Rapids Drive
- NBA G League Season to Take Place at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex at Walt Disney World Resort - Erie BayHawks
- NBA G League to Begin Play at Disney in February - G League
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Westchester Knicks Stories
- Brazdeikis Posts 31 Points and Knicks Knock off Magic, 123-113
- Warriors Serve Knicks First Loss of the Season
- Knicks Reach .500 Following Nine Point Win over the Charge
- Shittu Leads Six Knicks in Double-Figures in Loss to Spurs
- Knicks Acquire JJ Moore from Available Player Pool