Walk-Off Thriller Knocks T-Bones out of Wild Card Lead
Sioux City, IA - The Kansas City T-Bones (47-39) lost their second-place spot in the Southern Division in tonight's 3-2 walk-off loss to the Sioux City Explorers (48-39), who now take second place.
Dylan Baker went 7.2 innings against the Explorers, only giving up one run in the bottom of the first. After the first he was lights out until he was taken out of the game in the bottom of the eighth for Carlos Diaz (1-2) to shut the door on the eighth inning, but two walks would kill the T-Bones in the end. After Diaz walked Dexture McCall and Justin Felix, Diaz would let up two straight singles from Sebastian Zawada and Dylan Kelly. Kelly would be the final blow in the first walk-off loss the T-Bones have faced this season.
Carlos Sierra was able to hold off the T-Bones until the sixth inning, when he would be replaced by Nate Gercken in the bottom of the sixth. Sierra and Gercken were the only ones who let up runs to Kansas City, and Jose Velez (2-0) would be awarded the win after completing the one run comeback.
The T-Bones were down 1-0 to the Explorers for most of the game. Chris Colabello would break the silence in the sixth inning to score Shawn O'Malley and to tie the game at 1-1. The next inning, in the top of the seventh, a Christian Correa RBI scored Casey Gillaspie to take the lead 2-1.
Kansas City returns home for the next three days to take on the Lincoln Saltdogs, who are currently out of the wildcard race but who could spoil playoff hopes for the T-Bones. Kansas City will be in action tomorrow starting game one at 5:05 p.m. and game two at 7:05 p.m. at JustBats Field at T-Bones Stadium. Catch all the action live on the T-Bones Broadcast Network.
Tickets to all T-Bones home games are on sale now online or by calling (913) 328-5618 or by visiting the Saint Luke's Box Office between the hours of 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. Group ticket sales are also on sale now.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 21, 2019
- Big Homers, Big Innings Lift Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Birds Score 20 Runs in Blowout Win over Texas - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Sioux City Bullpen Clamps Cleburne - Cleburne Railroaders
- AirHogs Look Tired in 20-5 loss to Sioux Falls - Texas AirHogs
- A Sense of Relief as Saints Win Eighth Straight with 5-2 Victory over RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Dogs Drop Series Opener on Wiener Wednesday - Chicago Dogs
- Early 2-0 Lead, Mooney's 2 Hits and 2 RBIs Not Enough in 5-2 Loss to Saints - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- 'Dogs Drop Both in Kc Doubleheader - Lincoln Saltdogs
- RailCats Acquire Catcher Smith in Three-Team Trade - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Walk-Off Thriller Knocks T-Bones out of Wild Card Lead - Kansas City T-Bones
- Explorers Retake Wild Card on Kelly Walk Off - Sioux City Explorers
- Late Rally for Milkmen Falls Short to Chicago - Milwaukee Milkmen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.