Sioux City Bullpen Clamps Cleburne
SIOUX CITY, Iowa. - The Sioux City Explorers got 3.2 scoreless innings from their bullpen with eight strikeouts, as the Cleburne Railroaders dropped game one of the series by the score of 5-3 on Wednesday night at Lewis and Clark Park.
It didn't take long for Sioux City (49-39) to take the game's first lead in the first. Kyle Wren led off the inning with a triple and came in to score two pitches later via an RBI single from Drew Stankiewicz.
Cleburne (53-36) answered with a three-run top of the fourth to take the lead. Zach Nehrir and Logan Trowbridge drew bases-loaded walks against Sioux City starter Eric Karch (5-6), then K.C. Huth lifted a sacrifice fly.
Jeremy Hazelbaker skied a solo homer to start the bottom of the fourth, trimming the Cleburne lead to 3-2. The X's then took the lead themselves with two runs in the bottom of the fifth, as Stankiewicz singled home one and Nate Samson drove in the other with a fielder's choice grounder.
Samson provided insurance in the seventh with a two-out RBI triple.
The Railroaders threatened several times late, putting the leadoff man on in four of the last five innings but failing to score him in each instance. Matt Pobereyko worked around a leadoff walk in the top of the ninth to secure his 24th save of the season.
Jesus Sanchez (9-4) took the loss for Cleburne, allowing eight hits and four runs over six innings of work.
The Railroaders and Explorers continue the series on Thursday night at 7:12 PM. Charlie Gillies (5-7, 3.62) gets the ball for Cleburne, while Sioux City will counter with fellow right-hander Taylor Jordan (5-10, 4.72).
For information on partnerships, season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Railroaders main office at (817) 945-8705, or visit the Railroaders official website at www.railroaderbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 21, 2019
- Big Homers, Big Innings Lift Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Birds Score 20 Runs in Blowout Win over Texas - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Sioux City Bullpen Clamps Cleburne - Cleburne Railroaders
- AirHogs Look Tired in 20-5 loss to Sioux Falls - Texas AirHogs
- A Sense of Relief as Saints Win Eighth Straight with 5-2 Victory over RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Dogs Drop Series Opener on Wiener Wednesday - Chicago Dogs
- Early 2-0 Lead, Mooney's 2 Hits and 2 RBIs Not Enough in 5-2 Loss to Saints - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- 'Dogs Drop Both in Kc Doubleheader - Lincoln Saltdogs
- RailCats Acquire Catcher Smith in Three-Team Trade - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Walk-Off Thriller Knocks T-Bones out of Wild Card Lead - Kansas City T-Bones
- Explorers Retake Wild Card on Kelly Walk Off - Sioux City Explorers
- Late Rally for Milkmen Falls Short to Chicago - Milwaukee Milkmen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.