Big Homers, Big Innings Lift Goldeyes
ROSEMONT, IL - The Winnipeg Goldeyes (49-39) beat the Chicago Dogs 14-4 at Impact Field on Wednesday night.
Trailing 3-1 in the top of the fifth, the Goldeyes rallied for seven runs to take the lead for the remainder of the game. Dominic Ficociello and Alex Perez opened the frame with back-to-back doubles to pull Winnipeg within 3-2. Two batters later, Kevin Garcia singled through the left side to score Perez with the tying run. After Tyler Marincov singled to centre, Wes Darvill walked to load the bases. Reggie Abercrombie singled through the left side to plate Garcia and Marincov with the go-ahead runs. Jalen Miller relieved Dogs' starter Carlos Zambrano, and the Goldeyes opened an 8-3 lead when Kyle Martin blasted a three-run home run to right.
In the top of the sixth, Adrian Marin drew a leadoff walk, stole second, and scored when Darvill singled through the right side.
Marin doubled home Willy Garcia with two outs in the seventh to make it 10-3 Goldeyes.
The Dogs cut the lead to 10-4 in the bottom of the seventh when David Olmedo-Barrera hit a solo home run to left-centre with one out.
The Goldeyes answered back in the top of the eighth. Singles from Marincov and Darvill and a walk to Martin set up a grand slam to left-centre from Willy Garcia. It was Garcia's third grand slam of the season, and his second against Chicago.
Goldeyes' starter Kevin Hilton (4-10) picked up the win, allowing four runs, three earned, on four hits in six and two-thirds innings. Hilton walked five and struck out one. Hilton retired 10 consecutive batters from the bottom of the fourth until Olmedo-Barrera's home run in the seventh.
Zambrano (3-1) took the loss for Chicago (52-36), allowing seven runs, six earned, on seven hits in four and one-third innings. Zambrano walked one and struck out three.
Justin Kamplain and Joel Bender combined for two and one-third shutout innings in relief of Hilton.
Chicago took a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the third on a solo home run to left from Gustavo Pierre.
Winnipeg tied the game in the fourth when Martin reached on an error by Pierre at shortstop that allowed Darvill to score.
The Dogs re-took the lead in the bottom of the fourth on an Edwin Arroyo bases loaded fielder's choice and a two-out throwing error.
Marincov has hit safely in eight consecutive games. All nine Goldeyes' starters had at least one hit, with Darvill collecting three hits and three runs.
The series continues Thursday evening at 6:05 p.m. Mitchell Lambson (12-2, 2.85) takes on left-hander Austin Wright (5-7, 4.38). All the action can be heard locally on 93.7 FM CJNU and worldwide at www.cjnu.ca
The Goldeyes return home on Tuesday, August 27th when they host the Gary SouthShore RailCats at Shaw Park. Advance tickets are on sale now by visiting www.goldeyes.com/tickets or by visiting the box office at Shaw Park.
For information on 2019 season tickets, 10-game mini packs, and group tickets, call the Goldeyes' office at (204) 982-BASE, or visit the Goldeyes' official website at www.goldeyes.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 21, 2019
- Big Homers, Big Innings Lift Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Birds Score 20 Runs in Blowout Win over Texas - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Sioux City Bullpen Clamps Cleburne - Cleburne Railroaders
- AirHogs Look Tired in 20-5 loss to Sioux Falls - Texas AirHogs
- A Sense of Relief as Saints Win Eighth Straight with 5-2 Victory over RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Dogs Drop Series Opener on Wiener Wednesday - Chicago Dogs
- Early 2-0 Lead, Mooney's 2 Hits and 2 RBIs Not Enough in 5-2 Loss to Saints - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- 'Dogs Drop Both in Kc Doubleheader - Lincoln Saltdogs
- RailCats Acquire Catcher Smith in Three-Team Trade - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Walk-Off Thriller Knocks T-Bones out of Wild Card Lead - Kansas City T-Bones
- Explorers Retake Wild Card on Kelly Walk Off - Sioux City Explorers
- Late Rally for Milkmen Falls Short to Chicago - Milwaukee Milkmen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Winnipeg Goldeyes Stories
- Goldeyes Make Two Transactions
- All-Stars Lambson and Capellan Extend Their Seasons
- Goldeyes Finish Season with Win
- Lambson Voted League's Best Pitcher
- Canaries Edge Goldeyes