Birds Score 20 Runs in Blowout Win over Texas
SIOUX FALLS, SD - Wednesday night at the Birdcage the Sioux Falls Canaries did something only one other team in the American Association has done this year: score 20 runs in a game. The Sioux Falls Canaries (35-53) beat the Texas AirHogs (24-65) 20-5 on Wednesday night.
The Birds went 1-2-3 in the first inning but then scored in the next seven innings. Every Canary got in on the action, and every Bird in the starting lineup recorded a hit. Mitch Glasser summed it up when he said the Birds like to hit at home.
"The Birds do what we do at home," Glasser said. "We score runs."
The Birds were down heading into the bottom of the second. Matt Dean launched a home run in the top half of the inning and the AirHogs lead 1-0.
The Birds proceeded to score and score often. 13 Birds came to the plate in the bottom of the second. Eight runs scored and the Birds didn't look back. They led 8-1 after two.
Texas added four more runs; one in the fourth, two in the fifth and one in the eighth. It didn't matter as the Birds continued to score 12 runs over the next five innings.
Mike Hart finished the night 2-for-6 with four RBI and the only home run the Birds hit on Wednesday. Alay Lago became the first Bird this season to hit three doubles in one game. He finished the night 4-for-6 with three RBI. Andrew Ely continued his hot streak since rejoining the Birds. He ended the night 3-for-6 with four RBI.
The Canaries will be back in action Thursday. They will take on the Texas Airhogs in game two of the three-game series. The pre-game show is scheduled for 6:45 pm with first pitch scheduled for 7:05. Birds fans can listen on Sioux Falls Sports Radio 98.1 FM and AM 1230 KWSN. For more information on game tickets, group outings or promotions, call the Canaries Front Office at (605) 336-6060, or visit the Canaries official website at www.sfcanaries.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 21, 2019
- Big Homers, Big Innings Lift Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Birds Score 20 Runs in Blowout Win over Texas - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Sioux City Bullpen Clamps Cleburne - Cleburne Railroaders
- AirHogs Look Tired in 20-5 loss to Sioux Falls - Texas AirHogs
- A Sense of Relief as Saints Win Eighth Straight with 5-2 Victory over RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Dogs Drop Series Opener on Wiener Wednesday - Chicago Dogs
- Early 2-0 Lead, Mooney's 2 Hits and 2 RBIs Not Enough in 5-2 Loss to Saints - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- 'Dogs Drop Both in Kc Doubleheader - Lincoln Saltdogs
- RailCats Acquire Catcher Smith in Three-Team Trade - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Walk-Off Thriller Knocks T-Bones out of Wild Card Lead - Kansas City T-Bones
- Explorers Retake Wild Card on Kelly Walk Off - Sioux City Explorers
- Late Rally for Milkmen Falls Short to Chicago - Milwaukee Milkmen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.