Wade's Single Lifts RailRiders
SYRACUSE, NY - The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders rallied past the Syracuse Mets 4-3 at NBT Bank Stadium on Friday night. Trailing 2-1 in the seventh, Tyler Wade's bases loaded single gave Scranton/Wilkes-Barre a lead they would not relinquish.
For the second straight night, the RailRiders took a 1-0 lead on a home run in the top of the second. Kyle Higashioka hammered the first pitch he saw from Mets starting pitcher Anthony Kay over the wall in left. Of Higashioka's 14 home run this season, five have come off of Mets pitching.
Exactly as Thursday's game played out, Syracuse took a 2-1 lead on a home run in the bottom half of the inning to answer. Dilson Herrera hit an 0-2 offering from Randall Delgado out to left with Danny Espinosa on to push the Mets in front.
That advantage held despite multiple opportunities for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre to tie the game in the third, fifth and sixth innings.
In the seventh, reliever Paul Sewald allowed a single to Ryan McBroom, saw Zack Zehner reach on an error and gave up a single to Billy Burns to load the bases with no one out. Ryan O'Rourke took over and induced a pop out from Mike Ford and a lineout by Thairo Estrada. Wade singled to right, plating McBroom and Zehner to give the RailRiders a 3-2 lead.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre added a RBI single by Zehner in the eighth to extend the lead.
Jonathan Holder worked two scoreless in back of Delgado (2-4), striking out three and allowing just one single. In the ninth, Rene Rivera hit a leadoff home run off Joe Harvey, but the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre closer retired the next three batters to seal his eighth save in as many chances this season.
Kay, the New York Mets fifth-best prospect, allowed just one run on five hits over 5.2 innings and did not factor in the decision. Sewald (3-3) took the loss and O'Rourke was tagged with a blown save.
Burns paced the RailRiders with three hits over four at-bats and was a home run shy of a cycle. Wade and McBroom added multi-hit efforts as Scranton/Wilkes-Barre collected its four runs on ten hits.
With the win, the RailRiders now hold an 11-4 Interstate 81 Series advantage with four games left between Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and Syracuse this season.
The RailRiders and Mets play game three of this four-game set Saturday evening. Chance Adams and Walker Lockett get the starts for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and Syracuse, respectively. The RailRiders return to PNC Field on Monday to open a seven-game homestand against Columbus and Louisville.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Record:
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 12, 2019
- Wright Wins Third Straight as Stripers Beat Charlotte - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Defeated by Stripers 9-3 - Charlotte Knights
- Bisons Split Friday Night Doubleheader in Pawtucket - Buffalo Bisons
- Norfolk Rallies to Defeat Durham - Durham Bulls
- Comeback Cut Short in Division Showdown - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bats Use Small Ball to Defeat Mud Hens, 7-6 - Louisville Bats
- Clippers Jump Tribe Early, Level Four-Game Series - Indianapolis Indians
- Kay Makes Strong Start, But Mets Late Rally Falls Short in 4-3 Loss to RailRiders - Syracuse Mets
- Wade's Single Lifts RailRiders - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- IronPigs edge out win in Rochester - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- PawSox Split Doubleheader with Bullpen Starring in Game 2 - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wings Fall Short in 7-6 Loss to IronPigs - Rochester Red Wings
- Milo the Bat Dog Returns Saturday Night - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Notes: Toledo Mud Hens (41-49) at Louisville Bats (33-57) - Louisville Bats
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (45-44) at Columbus Clippers (55-34) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Pawtucket, DH (4:35 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Tides to Play as Norfolk Coffee on July 20th - Norfolk Tides
- Plates Split Twinbill with IronPigs - Rochester Red Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Stories
- SWB RailRiders Media Advisory- Emergency Food Drive-Thru Giveaway on May 27 at PNC Field
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre participating in MiLB CommUNITY First Campaign
- RailRiders Join the Show with IL Clubs
- READing RailRoad Returns
- RailRiders Front Office Is Temporarily Closed