Norfolk Rallies to Defeat Durham
DURHAM, NC - The Durham Bulls suffered a wild 10-9 loss at the hands of the Norfolk Tides on Friday night at the DBAP. Matt Wotherspoon (3-2) recorded the victory for the Tides, while Luis Santos (3-2) recorded the loss for the Bulls.
Joe McCarthy continued his hot start to the second half, with a first inning two-run home run to give the Bulls the early edge. Nick Solak went back-to-back with McCarthy, launching a solo home run to deep right field to extend the lead to 3-0.
Norfolk struck back in the third, beginning with a two-run double by Austin Hays to cut the deficit to one. Jace Peterson added a two-run double of his own, this time giving Norfolk the 4-3 lead.
The rehabbing Matt Duffy began a Bulls offensive explosion on a three-run single in the bottom of the fourth inning to take a 6-4 lead. The fifth inning proved to be more of the same, beginning with the first Triple-A home run of Jesus Sanchez's career to increase the lead to 7-4. Dalton Kelly drove in an additional run on an RBI single and Emilio Bonifacio drove Kelly home with an RBI double to go ahead 9-4.
The Tides mounted a comeback in the seventh and eighth innings. Hays got things started with a solo home run to make it 9-5. Jack Reinheimer continued the momentum in the eighth inning with an RBI single, before scoring on a two-run double by Hays to make it 9-8. Ademar Rifaela tied the game with an RBI double, and Peterson gave the Tides a 10-9 lead on an RBI single to finish off the inning and propel the visitors to a victory.
The Bulls and Tides will get together for two more games on this homestand, beginning with a 6:35 p.m. game on Saturday at the DBAP.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 12, 2019
- Wright Wins Third Straight as Stripers Beat Charlotte - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Defeated by Stripers 9-3 - Charlotte Knights
- Bisons Split Friday Night Doubleheader in Pawtucket - Buffalo Bisons
- Norfolk Rallies to Defeat Durham - Durham Bulls
- Comeback Cut Short in Division Showdown - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bats Use Small Ball to Defeat Mud Hens, 7-6 - Louisville Bats
- Clippers Jump Tribe Early, Level Four-Game Series - Indianapolis Indians
- Kay Makes Strong Start, But Mets Late Rally Falls Short in 4-3 Loss to RailRiders - Syracuse Mets
- Wade's Single Lifts RailRiders - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- IronPigs edge out win in Rochester - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- PawSox Split Doubleheader with Bullpen Starring in Game 2 - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wings Fall Short in 7-6 Loss to IronPigs - Rochester Red Wings
- Milo the Bat Dog Returns Saturday Night - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Notes: Toledo Mud Hens (41-49) at Louisville Bats (33-57) - Louisville Bats
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (45-44) at Columbus Clippers (55-34) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Pawtucket, DH (4:35 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Tides to Play as Norfolk Coffee on July 20th - Norfolk Tides
- Plates Split Twinbill with IronPigs - Rochester Red Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.