Comeback Cut Short in Division Showdown
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - After falling behind early, the Toledo Mud Hens mounted a comeback that fell just short as the Louisville Bats collected a 7-6 victory on Friday night at Louisville Slugger Field.
The Mud Hens (41-50) used two solo homeruns to come within a run but could not complete the comeback over the Bats (34-57).
Ronny Rodriguez recorded the first hit of the contest with a double to lead off the second inning. Dawel Lugo then flipped a single into right field that got passed Aristides Aquino allowing Rodriguez to score and Lugo took third on the error. Dustin Peterson then singled over second base to bring in Lugo.
The Bats battled back in the bottom half of the inning plating a run and finding runners at first and third with no outs. Willi Castro made a run saving snag at short stop for the first out of the inning. Louisville tied the game at two as Stuart Turner singled to center. Blake Trahan then gave the Bats its first lead of the game with a single to right field. With the fifth hit of the inning, Louisville went up 4-2. Trahan scored on a sacrifice fly by Josh VanMeter to put the Bats up three, but the inning ended as Toledo relayed to first catching Alex Blandino napping for the third out of the inning.
With two outs in the top of the third inning, Lugo plated two more runs with a double to the gap between right and center field bringing Toledo within one run.
In the bottom of the fourth Louisville extended its lead in a big way. Finding the bases loaded with one out, the Bats mustered a pair of runs to take a 7-4 advantage into the fifth inning.
Rodriguez flew a high fastball over the left field wall to inch Toledo one run closer in the top of the fifth inning. Mikie Mahtook then led off the sixth inning with a solo blast cutting the gap to one.
In relief, Tim Adleman did his job in delivering four and one third shutout innings allowing two hits while fanning five giving the Mud Hens a chance to win the game in the ninth inning.
In the ninth, Toledo found the bases loaded with one out as Castro doubled, Jacob Robson walked and Rodriguez singled, but could not plate a runner as Louisville claimed the win.
The Toledo Mud Hens and Louisville Bats will be back in action tomorrow with the first pitch scheduled for 6:30 p.m. on Saturday in the third game of the four-game series.
#RoadToDetroit Report (rankings accoring to MLB.com 2019 Prospect Watch):
5. OF Daz Cameron: 0 for 3
6. RHP Beau Burrows: DNP (Suspended)
7. IF Willi Castro: 1 for 5, double
10. RHP Kyle Funkhouser: 3.0 IP, 7 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
12. C Jake Rogers: 0 for 4
16. OF Jacob Robson: 1 for 3
18. RHP Bryan Garcia: DNP
19. OF Danny Woodrow: 1 for 5
22. RHP John Schreiber: DNP
26. RHP Sandy Baez: DNP (IL)
27. LHP Matt Hall: DNP
28. IF/OF Dustin Peterson: 1 for 4
? RHP Kyle Funkhouser sent the first three batters down on strikes.
? Toledo collected three stolen basses with Jacob Robson, Danny Woodrow and Daz Cameron each swiping a bag.
? Ronny Rodriguez and Mikie Mahtook each sent a solo homerun over the left field wall.
? Willi Castro recorded his team leading 17th double of the season.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 12, 2019
- Wright Wins Third Straight as Stripers Beat Charlotte - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Defeated by Stripers 9-3 - Charlotte Knights
- Bisons Split Friday Night Doubleheader in Pawtucket - Buffalo Bisons
- Norfolk Rallies to Defeat Durham - Durham Bulls
- Comeback Cut Short in Division Showdown - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bats Use Small Ball to Defeat Mud Hens, 7-6 - Louisville Bats
- Clippers Jump Tribe Early, Level Four-Game Series - Indianapolis Indians
- Kay Makes Strong Start, But Mets Late Rally Falls Short in 4-3 Loss to RailRiders - Syracuse Mets
- Wade's Single Lifts RailRiders - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- IronPigs edge out win in Rochester - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- PawSox Split Doubleheader with Bullpen Starring in Game 2 - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wings Fall Short in 7-6 Loss to IronPigs - Rochester Red Wings
- Milo the Bat Dog Returns Saturday Night - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Notes: Toledo Mud Hens (41-49) at Louisville Bats (33-57) - Louisville Bats
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (45-44) at Columbus Clippers (55-34) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Pawtucket, DH (4:35 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Tides to Play as Norfolk Coffee on July 20th - Norfolk Tides
- Plates Split Twinbill with IronPigs - Rochester Red Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.