Wright Wins Third Straight as Stripers Beat Charlotte
CHARLOTTE, NC - The Gwinnett Stripers (52-39) defeated the Charlotte Knights (50-41) 9-3 on Friday night in game two of the four-game series at BB&T Ballpark. Adam Duvall, Rafael Ortega, and Andres Blanco each homered to help Kyle Wright to his third straight win.
Scoring Recap: The Stripers took a 2-0 lead through two innings as Duvall (27) and Ortega (17) each drilled solo home runs off Charlotte starting pitcher Justin Nicolino. The Knights cut it to 2-1 in the third on an RBI double by Luis Robert, but Gwinnett extended the lead to 3-1 in the fifth on a sacrifice fly by Jack Lopez. A solo homer by Seby Zavala (13) trimmed the lead to 3-2 in the bottom of the fifth. The Stripers responded with six runs to make it 9-2, getting an RBI double from Sean Kazmar Jr. and two-run single from Pedro Florimon in a three-run sixth, and an RBI double by Ortega and two-run homer by Blanco (13) in a three-run seventh. The final run of the game came on a solo homer by Danny Mendick (11) in the bottom of the seventh.
Stripers Stats: Wright (W, 7-4) delivered a quality start as he allowed three runs on eight hits and struck out five. Ben Rowen pitched the final 2.2 innings with two strikeouts. Offensively, Duvall was 3-for-4 with a double, homer, and an RBI, Kazmar Jr. was 3-for-4 with two doubles and an RBI, and Ortega was 3-for-5 with a double, homer, and two RBIs. Blanco and Florimon also tallied two RBIs each.
Knights Stats: Nicolino (L, 6-4) went 5.1 innings with nine hits and six earned runs. Zavala and Mendick each had two hits and a home run.
Postgame Notes: Wright is 4-0 with a 1.99 ERA (7 ER in 31.2 IP) and four quality starts over his last five outings since June 14. Duvall's homer was his International League-leading 27th, one shy of matching Ernesto Mejia's single-season Gwinnett record (28 in 2013). Ortega is 7-for-10 with three doubles, one home run, six runs scored, three RBIs, and one stolen base through the first two games of the series at Charlotte.
Next Game (Saturday, July 13): Gwinnett at Charlotte, 7:04 p.m. at BB&T Ballpark. RHP Mike Foltynewicz (2-1, 4.75 ERA) for the Stripers vs. RHP Odrisamer Despaigne (3-3, 3.12 ERA) for the Knights. Radio Broadcast: 6:50 p.m. on 97.7 and 93.5 FM "The Other Side of the River."
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 12, 2019
- Wright Wins Third Straight as Stripers Beat Charlotte - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Defeated by Stripers 9-3 - Charlotte Knights
- Bisons Split Friday Night Doubleheader in Pawtucket - Buffalo Bisons
- Norfolk Rallies to Defeat Durham - Durham Bulls
- Comeback Cut Short in Division Showdown - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bats Use Small Ball to Defeat Mud Hens, 7-6 - Louisville Bats
- Clippers Jump Tribe Early, Level Four-Game Series - Indianapolis Indians
- Kay Makes Strong Start, But Mets Late Rally Falls Short in 4-3 Loss to RailRiders - Syracuse Mets
- Wade's Single Lifts RailRiders - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- IronPigs edge out win in Rochester - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- PawSox Split Doubleheader with Bullpen Starring in Game 2 - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wings Fall Short in 7-6 Loss to IronPigs - Rochester Red Wings
- Milo the Bat Dog Returns Saturday Night - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Notes: Toledo Mud Hens (41-49) at Louisville Bats (33-57) - Louisville Bats
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (45-44) at Columbus Clippers (55-34) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Pawtucket, DH (4:35 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Tides to Play as Norfolk Coffee on July 20th - Norfolk Tides
- Plates Split Twinbill with IronPigs - Rochester Red Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gwinnett Stripers Stories
- Chris Young to Play Coolray Field's First-Ever Socially-Distant Concert on November 14
- Gwinnett Stripers' Coolray Field to Host Braves Taxi Squad
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce National Anthem Auditions
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce 2020 Promotions Schedule
- Reigning IL Manager of the Year Damon Berryhill Returns to Gwinnett