IronPigs edge out win in Rochester
(Rochester, NY) - The Lehigh Valley IronPigs (44-45) edged out a late comeback by the Rochester Red Wings (44-47) by winning 7-6 on Friday night.
Austin Listi hit a three-run home run off Fernando Romero in the top of the first inning to give the IronPigs a 3-0 lead. Rochester answered back with two runs off Tyler Viza in the bottom of the second inning as Wilin Rosario hit a two-run home run.
Nick Gordon homered off Viza in the bottom of the third inning to tie the game at 3-3. That would be the third and final run Viza allowed through six innings, his longest start since June 3rd in Pawtucket.
Phil Gosselin hit an RBI single off Lewis Thorpe in the top of the fifth inning to give the IronPigs a 4-3 lead. Jan Hernandez homered off Cody Allen in the top of the sixth inning to extend Lehigh Valley's lead to 5-3.
Rochester's comeback attempt came in the bottom of the eighth inning as Rosario hit a two-run double off Connor Brogdon to tie the game at 5-5. Matt McBride put Lehigh Valley ahead by hitting a two-run home run off Gabriel Moya (1-2) in the top of the ninth inning.
Kyle Dohy (4-4) gave up a run in the bottom of the ninth inning, but Edubray Ramos recorded the final two outs to earn his sixth save of the season.
The IronPigs play for a series win on Saturday evening against the Red Wings. First pitch is scheduled for 6:05 p.m.
The 2019 IronPigs season is the team's 12th as the top affiliate for the Philadelphia Phillies and 12th at Coca-Cola Park. Follow the IronPigs on Twitter at @IronPigs and like them on Facebook via www.facebook.com/LHVIronPigs.
The 2019 IronPigs season is presented by Capital BlueCross.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 12, 2019
- Wright Wins Third Straight as Stripers Beat Charlotte - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Defeated by Stripers 9-3 - Charlotte Knights
- Bisons Split Friday Night Doubleheader in Pawtucket - Buffalo Bisons
- Norfolk Rallies to Defeat Durham - Durham Bulls
- Comeback Cut Short in Division Showdown - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bats Use Small Ball to Defeat Mud Hens, 7-6 - Louisville Bats
- Clippers Jump Tribe Early, Level Four-Game Series - Indianapolis Indians
- Kay Makes Strong Start, But Mets Late Rally Falls Short in 4-3 Loss to RailRiders - Syracuse Mets
- Wade's Single Lifts RailRiders - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- IronPigs edge out win in Rochester - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- PawSox Split Doubleheader with Bullpen Starring in Game 2 - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wings Fall Short in 7-6 Loss to IronPigs - Rochester Red Wings
- Milo the Bat Dog Returns Saturday Night - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Notes: Toledo Mud Hens (41-49) at Louisville Bats (33-57) - Louisville Bats
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (45-44) at Columbus Clippers (55-34) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Pawtucket, DH (4:35 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Tides to Play as Norfolk Coffee on July 20th - Norfolk Tides
- Plates Split Twinbill with IronPigs - Rochester Red Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.