PawSox Split Doubleheader with Bullpen Starring in Game 2
PAWTUCKET, R.I. - The PawSox (36-54) split the doubleheader Friday night, losing the first game 4-3, but defeating the Buffalo Bisons (48-43) by a score of 6-2 in the nightcap. Pitching was the theme of Game 2.
The Bisons started the scoring for Game 1, as Roemon Fields blasted a two-run shot in the top of the third inning. This was Fields' first homerun on the season.
Reese McGuire then hit his very own two-run home run just one inning later in the top of the fourth, giving the Bisons an early 4-0.
Pawtucket would respond in the bottom half of the inning. Chris Owings hit a solo homer as the number three hitter in the PawSox lineup, tightening the score to 4-1. Owings has been very effective at the Triple-A level for the PawSox, batting .294 in 18 games so far.
They would continue to crawl back, first scoring Cole Sturgeon on a Gorkys Hernandez force out. Tzu-Wei Lin would score another for Pawtucket shortly after on a sacrifice fly, scoring Jantzen Witte. This would bring the score to 4-3 in favor of Buffalo. Unfortunately, Pawtucket was unable to muster up any more runs in Game 1.
Erasmo Ramirez went the distance, pitching 7 innings while allowing 6 hits and 4 runs. This was Ramirez's first complete game of the season despite the loss.
Buffalo came out swinging in Game 2, scoring an early first inning run. Socrates Brito walked, stole second base, and eventually scored on a Richard Urena single.
The PawSox would come storming back in the bottom of the third, scoring 6 total runs. The first 5 batters of the inning would reach base, courtesy of a walk, followed by 4 singles. Chris Owings, Jantzen Witte, Bryce Brentz, and Josh Ockimey each recorded an RBI in the inning, followed up by a Josh Tobias 2-run single.
The Bisons added their second run of the game on a Socrates Brito triple, scoring shortstop Bo Bichette.
The PawSox had a bullpen game today, using 4 relievers throughout Game 2. Darwinzon Hernandez got the win tonight, recording his first career win in Triple-A. He struck out the side in his perfect inning of work. Bobby Poyner closed out the game with 2 perfect innings, striking out 3. Poyner has been dealing as of late, allowing only 2 earned runs in his last 15.2 innings of work.
The PawSox and Bisons will continue their series tomorrow night at 6:15 p.m. The day begins with the third of four Free Youth Clinics from 2:00 - 3:15 p.m. presented by Citizens Bank and ABC 6. Prince & Princess-themed fireworks will follow the game.
Pawtucket right-hander Teddy Stankiewicz (4-5, 4.02) is scheduled to oppose Bisons righty Sean Reid-Foley (3-3, 6.13).
The game will be televised live on myRITV and Charter TV3. Radio coverage on WHJJ (920 AM and 104.7 FM) and throughout the PawSox Radio Network begins with the pre-game show at 5:45 p.m.
This 12-game homestand represents the longest scheduled homestand for the PawSox in 27 years - since a 12-game homestand in 1992 (from July 29 - August 9).
The teams will wrap up this series on Sunday at 1:05 p.m. (PawSox Cap Day and another Family FunDay at McCoy).
The Louisville Bats come to McCoy for a 4-game series starting Monday night at 7:05 p.m. The Charlotte Knights will come into town next, from July 19 to 21 for a 3-game set highlighted by Saturday, July 20 at 6:15 pm on Alex Cora World Series Champion Bobblehead Night and Margaritaville post-game Fireworks.
Good tickets are available, and fans can visit the McCoy Stadium box office, which is open Monday-Friday from 10 a.m. through 5 p.m., and during all home games. Fans can also call (401) 724-7300 or log on to PawSox.com for tickets.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 12, 2019
- Wright Wins Third Straight as Stripers Beat Charlotte - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Defeated by Stripers 9-3 - Charlotte Knights
- Bisons Split Friday Night Doubleheader in Pawtucket - Buffalo Bisons
- Norfolk Rallies to Defeat Durham - Durham Bulls
- Comeback Cut Short in Division Showdown - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bats Use Small Ball to Defeat Mud Hens, 7-6 - Louisville Bats
- Clippers Jump Tribe Early, Level Four-Game Series - Indianapolis Indians
- Kay Makes Strong Start, But Mets Late Rally Falls Short in 4-3 Loss to RailRiders - Syracuse Mets
- Wade's Single Lifts RailRiders - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- IronPigs edge out win in Rochester - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- PawSox Split Doubleheader with Bullpen Starring in Game 2 - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wings Fall Short in 7-6 Loss to IronPigs - Rochester Red Wings
- Milo the Bat Dog Returns Saturday Night - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Notes: Toledo Mud Hens (41-49) at Louisville Bats (33-57) - Louisville Bats
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (45-44) at Columbus Clippers (55-34) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Pawtucket, DH (4:35 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Tides to Play as Norfolk Coffee on July 20th - Norfolk Tides
- Plates Split Twinbill with IronPigs - Rochester Red Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.