Vipers Tumble 143-118 to Reno Bighorns
HIDALGO, Texas - The Rio Grande Valley Vipers (4-3) fell 143-118 to the visiting Reno Bighorns (4-4) tonight at State Farm Arena.
Seven Vipers reached double-figure scoring. Will Cummings led the Vipers with 22 points. Jarvis Threatt added 16 points. Houston Rockets assignee K.J. McDaniels recorded a double-double 15 points and 11 rebounds. Jaron Johnson scored 14 points, followed by Joshua Smith with 12 points. Raphiael Putney scored his fifth double-double of the season with 11 points, 11 rebounds and also added 3 blocks. Tyrone Johnson tallied 10 points. Aqeel Quinn came off the bench to score all 9 of his points during the fourth quarter.
Erick Green led the Bighorns with 39 points. David Stockton scored 22 points, followed by Vincent Hunter with 20 points and 13 rebounds. Reggie Hearn contributed 18 points, and Sacramento Kings assignee Duje Dukan scored 14 points.
RGV's only lead of the game was at the start of the first quarter. The Vipers opened with consecutive baskets from Smith and Cummings to take a 4-0 lead. Reno responded with two shots to tie the game 4-4. The score tied three times at the beginning of the quarter before Reno pulled away. At the end of the first quarter, Reno held a 38-27 advantage.
By halftime, the Bighorns were up 69-52. Green scored 30 of his 39 total points during the first half.
Reno continued to dictate the second half. The Bighorns outscored the Vipers 74-66 in the third and fourth quarters.
The Vipers are back in action twice Sunday, Dec. 6, when RGV hosts the Idaho Stampede for a 3 p.m. (CST) matinee. RGV hits the road Wednesday, Dec. 9 for a 9 p.m. (CST) game at Reno. For more information about the Vipers or purchase tickets, call the Vipers at 956-972-1144 or visit RGVipers.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 4, 2015
- Austin Spurs Fall to Westchester Knicks, 102-94 - Austin Spurs
- Petteway Leads Mad Ants in Career Night over Canton - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Green's Hot Hand Leads the Bighorns Past the Vipers - Reno Bighorns
- Westchester Knicks Back in the Saddle with Win over Spurs - Westchester Knicks
- Vipers Tumble 143-118 to Reno Bighorns - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Skyforce Make It Five in a Row, Defeat Delaware 115-99 - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Charge Fall in Fort Wayne - Canton Charge
- L.A. Clippers Branden Dawson Assigned to Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Drive
- Memphis Grizzlies Assign James Ennis to Iowa Energy - Iowa Wolves
- Drive Partner with U.S. Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots - Grand Rapids Drive
- D-Fenders Acquire Jamaal Franklin - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Spurs Assign Boban Marjanovic & Ray McCallum to Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Boston Celtics Assign James Young to Maine Red Claws - Maine Red Claws
- Drive Waive Thomas and Add Jones to the 2015-16 Season Roster - Grand Rapids Drive
- Rockets Assign K.J. McDaniels to Rio Grande Valley - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Red Claws and Unitil Team up for "Read to Achieve" - Maine Red Claws
- Iowa Energy Announce New Security Procedures for All Home Games - Iowa Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rio Grande Valley Vipers Stories
- Vipers Outrun the Wolves
- Vipers Acquire Guard Ronshad Shabazz
- Vipers Drop Road Game to Canton Charge
- Vipers Fall Short to Mad Ants
- Season Highs Lead Vipers to Victory over South Bay