Westchester Knicks Back in the Saddle with Win over Spurs
WHITE PLAINS - In a battle between the two best records in the NBA Development League, the Westchester Knicks (7-1), the official NBA D-League affiliate of the New York Knickerbockers, rallied back from a slow first quarter to regain the top spot with a 102-94 win over the Austin Spurs.
Austin went full throttle to start the game on 10-0 run. A Darion Atkins slam dunk put Westchester on the board three minutes into the first. Jimmer Fredette followed up with a sweet swish from downtown but the Spurs had a firm push on pedal and took it up by as many as 16 points. The Knicks finished the quarter with just 14 total points, Austin leading 27-14 after the first 12 minutes.
Westchester had its own run in the second, outpacing Austin 15-5 to start the second. Fredette hit a running finger roll layup to pull the Knicks within one while a Sean Marshall layup secured the lead with 3:15 left in the half. Westchester went on to amass 37 points in the second quarter to push the Knicks ahead 51-47 heading into the second half.
By the third quarter, every Knicks player had points on the board. Austin gave them a run for their money though, the teams tying it up six times in the quarter. The Spurs slightly outshot the Knicks 25-20 and pulled ahead, heading into the final quarter with a one point advantage.
Westchester quickly regained the lead within the first 10 seconds off a running layup from guard Jordon Crawford but the Spurs followed up with an 8-0 run to keep it a one-possession game. Tying it up with 5:42 on the clock would become Austin's last chance to claim power, the Knicks running away with it in the final minutes to secure the win, and regain a league-best record.
Finishing with 26 points, Jimmer Fredette led all scorers by a 10-point margin. Sean Marshall followed with 14 points, grabbing seven boards and three steals. Darion Atkins came off the bench to supply 12 points, adding eight rebounds and swatting five blocks.
Center Boban Marjanovic paced the Spurs with 16 points, just missing the double-double finishing with nine rebounds. Youssou Ndoye secured the double-double with 10 points and 14 rebounds. Jarrell Eddie and Orlando Johnson each contributed 15 points in the loss.
The Westchester Knicks travel to Oklahoma City for an 8:00 p.m. ET match-up tomorrow, Dec. 5 with the Blue, the NBA D-League affiliate of the Oklahoma City Thunder. The game will be streamed live on the D-League's YouTube channel.
Tickets for the Westchester Knicks are on sale now at Ticketmaster outlets and the Westchester County Center Box Office. For information on season tickets, partial plans, and group tickets, visit WestchesterKnicks.com or call (914) 559-6889. Fans can stay up-to-date on team news by following the team at: @wcknicks on Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat and on Facebook at facebook.com/wcknicks.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 4, 2015
- Austin Spurs Fall to Westchester Knicks, 102-94 - Austin Spurs
- Petteway Leads Mad Ants in Career Night over Canton - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Green's Hot Hand Leads the Bighorns Past the Vipers - Reno Bighorns
- Westchester Knicks Back in the Saddle with Win over Spurs - Westchester Knicks
- Vipers Tumble 143-118 to Reno Bighorns - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Skyforce Make It Five in a Row, Defeat Delaware 115-99 - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Charge Fall in Fort Wayne - Canton Charge
- L.A. Clippers Branden Dawson Assigned to Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Drive
- Memphis Grizzlies Assign James Ennis to Iowa Energy - Iowa Wolves
- Drive Partner with U.S. Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots - Grand Rapids Drive
- D-Fenders Acquire Jamaal Franklin - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Spurs Assign Boban Marjanovic & Ray McCallum to Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Boston Celtics Assign James Young to Maine Red Claws - Maine Red Claws
- Drive Waive Thomas and Add Jones to the 2015-16 Season Roster - Grand Rapids Drive
- Rockets Assign K.J. McDaniels to Rio Grande Valley - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Red Claws and Unitil Team up for "Read to Achieve" - Maine Red Claws
- Iowa Energy Announce New Security Procedures for All Home Games - Iowa Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.