Red Claws and Unitil Team up for "Read to Achieve"
PORTLAND - December 4, 2015 - The Maine Red Claws, presented by Unum, are pleased to announce they are teaming up with Unitil for a second straight year to bring the "Read To Achieve" program to area schools.
An initiative started at the NBA level, "Read To Achieve" is a nationwide program that helps promote a lifelong love of reading to elementary school-aged children. The program includes a member of the Red Claws - be it a player, coach, mascot or staff member - coming to the school and reading aloud in a classroom setting.
"The 'Read To Achieve' program is one of many community outreach projects that the Maine Red Claws are proud to be a part of," said Dajuan Eubanks, president of the Maine Red Claws. "Reading is important at all levels. We are more than thrilled that one of our great partners in Unitil is on board for another year."
"Supporting education has long been an important part of Unitil's commitment to the communities we serve," said Alec O'Meara, media relations manager for Unitil. "The Red Claws players are wonderful mentors who have a unique ability to inspire students to love reading and learning. We're proud to again partner with the team to bring the "Read To Achieve" program to schools across Maine."
As part of the sponsorship, Unitil will host a "Read To Achieve" night at the Red Claws' March 13 game. Fans will be encouraged to bring children's books to donate to a local charitable organization.
"Read To Achieve" will begin next Monday, Dec. 7 - Red Claws players Kevin Young and Ella Ellis will visit Brown Elementary School in South Portland. Another visit is scheduled for Wednesday, Dec. 9 at Small Elementary in South Portland. Media are encouraged to attend. Please contact Evans Boston at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Images from this story
Maine Red Claws "Read to Achieve"
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 4, 2015
- Austin Spurs Fall to Westchester Knicks, 102-94 - Austin Spurs
- Petteway Leads Mad Ants in Career Night over Canton - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Green's Hot Hand Leads the Bighorns Past the Vipers - Reno Bighorns
- Westchester Knicks Back in the Saddle with Win over Spurs - Westchester Knicks
- Vipers Tumble 143-118 to Reno Bighorns - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Skyforce Make It Five in a Row, Defeat Delaware 115-99 - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Charge Fall in Fort Wayne - Canton Charge
- L.A. Clippers Branden Dawson Assigned to Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Drive
- Memphis Grizzlies Assign James Ennis to Iowa Energy - Iowa Wolves
- Drive Partner with U.S. Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots - Grand Rapids Drive
- D-Fenders Acquire Jamaal Franklin - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Spurs Assign Boban Marjanovic & Ray McCallum to Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Boston Celtics Assign James Young to Maine Red Claws - Maine Red Claws
- Drive Waive Thomas and Add Jones to the 2015-16 Season Roster - Grand Rapids Drive
- Rockets Assign K.J. McDaniels to Rio Grande Valley - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Red Claws and Unitil Team up for "Read to Achieve" - Maine Red Claws
- Iowa Energy Announce New Security Procedures for All Home Games - Iowa Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.