Vipers Drop Road Game to Canton Charge
CANTON, Ohio - The Rio Grande Valley Vipers (2-10) drop matchup on the road to Canton Charge (8-3) on Thursday night, 109-116. Ray Spalding racked up a career-high of 30 points.
The Vipers led the first quarter with a 29-19 lead against Canton. Forward Jaron Blossomgame led the first quarter with nine points adding on two rebounds. Spalding was right behind with eight points adding on five rebounds.
RGV shot 48.0 percent from the field while Canton shot 38.9 percent. For Canton, two-way player, Dean Wade, led the squad with six points and six boards.
In the second quarter, the Vipers' biggest lead was 19. Three players for RGV hit the double-digits in points; Spalding (17, 6-8 FG), Blossomgame (11, 5-9 FG) and Angel Rodriguez (10, 4-5 FG). Spalding racked up eight rebounds and Rodriguez with four.
Wade totaled 12 points (5-7 FG) and seven rebounds for the Charge before heading into the half. At the half, RGV shot 52.2 percent from the field and the Charge shot 45.9 percent.
The Charge caught up to the Vipers and continued to challenge each other ending the third quarter at 87-85. At the 49.3 mark, Spalding reached 27 points, beating his career-high (25) after a free throw.
Muhammad-Ali Abdur-Rahkman shot from the three-point line and secured the lead 105-101 for the Charge. Canton made a comeback and defeated the Vipers 116-109. RGV shot 46.0 percent from the field and the Charge shot 50.0 percent.
Spalding ended his career night with a total of 30 points, 13 boards in 31 minutes of action while shooting 10-15 from the field. Blossomgame racked up 19 points, seven rebounds and two assists. Jacobi Boykins came off the bench and added 17 points, two rebounds and two assists. Denver Nuggets assignee, Jarred Vanderbilt, nearly earned a double-double with 10 points and nine rebounds.
For Canton, six players hit the double-digits; Wade (24, game-high), Sheldon Mac (19), JP Macura (17), Levi Rudolph (12), Malik Newman and Sir'Dominic Pointer (11 each). Wade hit a double-double with his 24 points (10-17 FG) and 10 rebounds adding four assists. Pointer fell short of his double-double with nine rebounds.
The Vipers will continue their road series, heading to Wisconsin to take on the Herd on Saturday, Dec. 7 at 7 p.m. For more information, contact the RGV Vipers at 956-56-ARENA or visit www.rgvipers.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 5, 2019
- NAZ Suns Lose as Memphis Hustle Makes History - Northern Arizona Suns
- Big Nights from Cacok and Hearn Not Enough in Salt Lake City - South Bay Lakers
- Hustle Break NBA G League Record for Most Wins to Start a Season - Memphis Hustle
- BayHawks Best the Mad Ants in Triple OT - Erie BayHawks
- Lemon's Scoring off the Bench Not Enough as Mad Ants Fall in Three-Overtime Game at Erie - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Charge Strike Back, Take Down Vipers - Canton Charge
- Herd Posts Tenth Straight Win, Defeats Maine 123-118 - Wisconsin Herd
- Red Claws' Rally Falls Short - Maine Red Claws
- Vipers Drop Road Game to Canton Charge - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Hornets Assign Cody Martin to Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
- 905 Tripped up by Nets - Raptors 905
- Santa Cruz Warriors Drop Lone Season Matchup against Knicks, 104-100 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- 3rd Quarter Downs Drive in South Bay - Grand Rapids Drive
- Spurs Out-Shoot Texas - Texas Legends
- South Bay Shifts into High Gear in Second Half for Home Victory - South Bay Lakers
- Austin Spurs Top Texas Legends 137-126 - Austin Spurs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.