Lemon's Scoring off the Bench Not Enough as Mad Ants Fall in Three-Overtime Game at Erie
Erie, Pa. - The Erie BayHawks defeated the Fort Wayne Mad Ants, 131-124, in a three-overtime game at Erie Insurance Arena.
Thursday night's game was the fourth time in franchise history a game went to three overtimes, with the last coming on Dec. 9, 2015 against Delaware. With Thursday night's loss, Fort Wayne falls to 1-3 in three-overtime games in franchise history.
The Mad Ants and BayHawks will meet again next Friday and Saturday night at the Coliseum.
Fort Wayne (2-9) trailed by six with 1:37 remaining in regulation, but a pair of free throws from both Brian Bowen II and Naz Mitrou-Long, as well as a reverse layup from Walt Lemon, Jr. with 21 seconds left, pushed the game to overtime.
In the first overtime, Lemon, Jr. stole a bad pass from Jalen Adams to tie the game, 117-117, with 22 seconds remaining to extend the game to a second overtime.
The Mad Ants struck first in the penultimate overtime, but a pair of free throws from Josh Gray with 35 seconds left kept the game alive for the BayHawks (4-7).
Erie extended the lead to as much as seven in the third overtime behind five points from Vitto Brown and two more free throws from Gray to hold on for the win.
Lemon, Jr. led the Mad Ants in scoring off the bench with 29 points on 14-of-28 shooting. He added 23 of his game-high 29 after halftime.
Bowen II continued his great pace with 21 points and a career-high 16 rebounds. C.J. Wilcox added 23 points on 4-of-8 shooting from beyond the arc.
Erie's Gray led all scorers with 40 points and added 10 rebounds, while Adams ended the night with 24 points and 12 rebounds.
Fort Wayne returns home on Saturday to face Raptors 905 at 7 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 5, 2019
- NAZ Suns Lose as Memphis Hustle Makes History - Northern Arizona Suns
- Big Nights from Cacok and Hearn Not Enough in Salt Lake City - South Bay Lakers
- Hustle Break NBA G League Record for Most Wins to Start a Season - Memphis Hustle
- BayHawks Best the Mad Ants in Triple OT - Erie BayHawks
- Lemon's Scoring off the Bench Not Enough as Mad Ants Fall in Three-Overtime Game at Erie - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Charge Strike Back, Take Down Vipers - Canton Charge
- Herd Posts Tenth Straight Win, Defeats Maine 123-118 - Wisconsin Herd
- Red Claws' Rally Falls Short - Maine Red Claws
- Vipers Drop Road Game to Canton Charge - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Hornets Assign Cody Martin to Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
- 905 Tripped up by Nets - Raptors 905
- Santa Cruz Warriors Drop Lone Season Matchup against Knicks, 104-100 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- 3rd Quarter Downs Drive in South Bay - Grand Rapids Drive
- Spurs Out-Shoot Texas - Texas Legends
- South Bay Shifts into High Gear in Second Half for Home Victory - South Bay Lakers
- Austin Spurs Top Texas Legends 137-126 - Austin Spurs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.