3rd Quarter Downs Drive in South Bay
EL SEGUNDO, CA - A handful of solid performances Wednesday night couldn't help the Drive (8-5) pull out a win over South Bay (5-4). Grand Rapids had an 11-point lead at halftime but a one-sided 38-18 third quarter in favor of the hometown Lakers allowed them to take control for the rest of the night and secure the W.
The Drive were aggressive on the boards throughout the game, out-rebounding the Lakers 58-49, but the home team's quick hands on defense (16 steals) and ability to shoot nearly 47% from the field (46-98) compared to just 39% (43-109) for the Drive, led to a final score of 129-122.
South Bay guard Gary Payton II led the Lakers to their fifth win on the season with a solid double-double of 24 points, 10 rebounds, 7 assists and 6 steals. Devontae Cacok also had a double-double with 20 points and 12 rebounds. Other Lakers in double digits were Lakers two-way player Zach Norvell Jr. (22 points, 7 rebounds & 2 steals), Marcus Allen (15 points & 4 assists), Lakers two-way player Kostas Antetokounmpo (11 points, 7 rebounds & 5 blocks), Grand Rapids alum Reggie Hearn (10 points & 4 assists) and David Stockton (10 points).
Pe'Shon Howard helped the Drive stay within range by racking up a team-high 23 points, shooting 7-14 from beyond the 3-point line. Pistons two-way player Jordan Bone had another impressive night for the Drive, securing another double-double, with 21 points, 13 assists, 6 rebounds and 4 3PM. Craig Sword matched Bone's 21 points and added 4 rebounds to the mix. Big man Donta Hall was strong both ends once again, earning his fifth-straight double-double with 10 points, 14 rebounds, 3 blocks and 2 steals. Todd Withers added another double-double for the team with 13 points, 10 rebounds and 3 blocks and Khalil Iverson tallied up 16 points and 6 rebounds.
Howard's performance in the fourth kept the Drive afloat by racking up 12 points in the final 12 minutes, while shooting 4-7 from the beyond the arch. The Drive turned up the heat defensively, but their attempts resulted in the Lakers going to the free-throw line to earn additional points and ultimately keep their lead.
The Lakers have a quick turnaround and will head to Salt Lake City, UT to take on the Stars tomorrow night. Tip-off is at 6 p.m. local time. The Drive will head home to Grand Rapids after their two-game west coast road trip and will host the College Park Skyhawks on December 6 at the DeltaPlex. Tip-off is at 7 p.m.
Highlights:Pe'Shon Howard (23pts, 4ast & 7-14 3PM) >>> https://bit.ly/2r7RKWw
Jordan Bone (21pts, 13ast, 6reb & 4 3PM) >>> https://bit.ly/2OPq818
Craig Sword (21pts & 4reb) >>> https://bit.ly/389aK7G
Khalil Iverson (16pts & 6reb) >>> https://bit.ly/34UFze5
Todd Withers (13pts, 10reb & 3blk) >>> https://bit.ly/34OSZIy
Donta Hall (10pts, 14reb, 3blk & 2stl) >>> https://bit.ly/2r7RUgA
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 5, 2019
- NAZ Suns Lose as Memphis Hustle Makes History - Northern Arizona Suns
- Big Nights from Cacok and Hearn Not Enough in Salt Lake City - South Bay Lakers
- Hustle Break NBA G League Record for Most Wins to Start a Season - Memphis Hustle
- BayHawks Best the Mad Ants in Triple OT - Erie BayHawks
- Lemon's Scoring off the Bench Not Enough as Mad Ants Fall in Three-Overtime Game at Erie - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Charge Strike Back, Take Down Vipers - Canton Charge
- Herd Posts Tenth Straight Win, Defeats Maine 123-118 - Wisconsin Herd
- Red Claws' Rally Falls Short - Maine Red Claws
- Vipers Drop Road Game to Canton Charge - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Hornets Assign Cody Martin to Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
- 905 Tripped up by Nets - Raptors 905
- Santa Cruz Warriors Drop Lone Season Matchup against Knicks, 104-100 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- 3rd Quarter Downs Drive in South Bay - Grand Rapids Drive
- Spurs Out-Shoot Texas - Texas Legends
- South Bay Shifts into High Gear in Second Half for Home Victory - South Bay Lakers
- Austin Spurs Top Texas Legends 137-126 - Austin Spurs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Rapids Drive Stories
- Grand Rapids Drive Opt out of 2020-21 NBA G League Season
- Hall and Hollins Earn All-NBA G League Honors
- Drive, Griffins, Whitecaps and WMSC Unite as "One Team for West Michigan"
- Drive Set to Donate to Local Organizations
- Drive Statement on NBA G League Suspension