Vettleson Hits 15th Jack But Road Streak Ends
Eastlake, OH - Drew Vettleson hit his team-leading fifteenth home run of the season, but the Bowling Green Hot Rods (40-25, 78-57) fell to the Lake County Captains (36-29, 67-67) 7-2 on Wednesday night at Classic Park in the first of a three-game series. Cameron Seitzer and Juniel Querecuto each had two hits, but Bowling Green's road winning streak, dating back to August 13, ended at eight. A potential first-round playoff matchup for the Hot Rods, the Captains won for just the third time in their last seven games.
Bowling Green did not record their first hit until the top of the sixth inning, but a Querecuto single and a Taylor Motter double with one out thrust the Hot Rods into a scoring threat. However, Jake Hager and Kes Carter lined out to end the inning. Not being able to break the 0-0 tie hurt the Hot Rods, who saw the Captains use two-out triples in the sixth and seventh innings to take a 4-0 lead.
Singles by Seitzer and Querecuto, as well as a Motter walk, loaded the bases with one out in the top of the eighth, and the Hot Rods threatened again with one out. Carter singled through the hole at shortstop to put the Hot Rods on the scoreboard. The next batter was Hager, who grounded out into a double play started by Indians top prospect Francisco Lindor.
Lake County added three runs in the bottom of the eighth, capped on a two-run home run from Alex Lavisky. Vettleson homered on the first pitch in the top of the ninth to take over the team lead with 15 home runs, but the Hot Rods could not rally any further in the ninth, dropping the contest 7-2.
The Captains win, accompanied with a Fort Wayne loss, moves Lake County into a position to host the Hot Rods in the first round of the playoffs one week from Wednesday. With five games to play, Lake County has the best shot among three teams to take on the Hot Rods in the first round.
The seven-game road trip continues on Thursday night at Classic Park for the middle game of the three-game set, featuring a 6:00 PM CDT first pitch. Bowling Green will give the start to LHP Sean Bierman (1-0, 1.80), while the Captains will counter with LHP Shawn Morimando (6-6, 3.76).
Tune in to the game on the flagship station for the Hot Rods Radio Network, 1340 WBGN-AM The Ticket and online at BGHotRods.com. The Forever Communications Pregame Show with Hank Fuerst begins at 5:40 PM CDT.
The Hot Rods return home on Saturday, September 1 to begin the final series of the 2012 regular season, a three-game series with the Fort Wayne TinCaps (Future Padres). September 1 features the return of Facebook Fans Night at Bowling Green Ballpark. Visit Facebook.com/BGHotRods.com for more information on Facebook Fans Night. To purchase tickets, log on to BGHotRods.com or call (270)-901-2121.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 29, 2012
- Bees Can't Fend off Clinton, 6-3 - Burlington Bees
- Two More for Paolini in 6-3 Win - Clinton LumberKings
- River Bandits Rally Late to Keep Playoff Hopes Alive - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Fall Behind Early, Can't Catch Up Wednesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Votto Returns But Dragons Fall 5-4 - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Announce Roster Moves - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Aguila's Four-Hit Night Not Enough - South Bend Silver Hawks
- 'Caps Take Care of Business, Toss Three-Hitter - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Lugs win 80th, blast past Silver Hawks, 7-3 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Captains Stall Hot Rods 7-2 - Lake County Captains
- Needy Goes the Distance in 1-0 Loss - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Vettleson Hits 15th Jack But Road Streak Ends - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- OF Dalton Pompey Joins Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Argo, Sawyer Received from Princeton - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Lugs' Tamargo Named MWL Manager of the Year, Pillar Honored as MVP - Lansing Lugnuts
- Two Snappers Named Midwest League Post Season All-Stars - Beloit Snappers
- Hedges and Portillo Named MWL Post-Season All-Stars - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- TinCaps' Stites to Play in Arizona Fall League - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Kernels Release 2013 Schedule on September 4th - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- River Bandits Garcia, Walsh Named Postseason All-Stars - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Gameday for August 29 - Dayton Dragons
- Roster Update - Burlington Bees
- 2012 MWL Post-Season All-Star Team Announced - MWL
- Kane County Cougars Homestand Preview: September 1-3 - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons on TV Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Gary Mitchell Promoted to Inland Empire - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Waldrop, Mugarian Are Dragons Players of the Month - Dayton Dragons
- LumberKings Win Second-Half Western Division - Clinton LumberKings
- River Bandits Swept by Clinton in 6-5, 13-Inning Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.