Captains Stall Hot Rods 7-2
(Eastlake, OH) - The Lake County Captains (36-29, 67-67) defeated the Bowling Green Hot Rods (40-25, 78-57) by a final of 7-2. In the bottom of the eighth inning, Lake County scored three runs to put the game out of reach. Jordan Smith beat out an infield single, and then stole second. Jordan raced to third base on a fly ball and later scored on a ball that got away from the catcher. The score was 5-1. A few hitters later with a man on and two outs, Alex Lavisky un-loaded a two run homerun and the score was 7-1 headed to the ninth.
Lake County used a two out two run triple by Jerrud Sabourin in the bottom of the sixth inning to begin the scoring. Jose Ramirez walked with one out and Jordan Smith had two out single to set the table for Sabourin. Jerrud hit the triple to deep right field and off the wall. Both runners scored as Sabourin slid into third base with the two RBI three bagger.
The Captains used another triple to do some damage in the bottom of the seventh inning. In the bottom of inning, two runners were on and there were two outs when Jose Ramirez tripled to centerfield and the Captains scored two more. It was 4-0 headed to the top of the eighth inning.
Bowling Green scored a run in the top of the eighth inning Cameron Seitzer singled and was moved to second base on a Juniel Querecuto single to left field. With two runners on Taylor Motter walked to load the bases with one out. Kes Carter singled to left field and that scored Seitzer and the score was 4-1 Captains.
In the top of the ninth, the lead off hitter Drew Vettleson smashed his fifteenth homerun of the season to left field and that concluded the scoring. The final score was 7-2 Captains.
RHP Cody Anderson (4-7) started the game for the Captains and did not get a decision. Anderson twirled three innings, allowing just one hit batter as he faced the minimum and fanned two. Nick Pasquale (3-0) got the win after pitching five innings, allowing five hits, one earned run, with four strikeouts. Pasquale did walk a hitter his first free pass of the season. Louis Head pitched the ninth and allowed two hits, one earned run, one walk and two strikeouts. Head also gave up the homer to Vettleson.
LHP Ryan Carpenter (11-8) got the nod for the Hot Rods, and was saddled with the loss. Carpenter pitched six innings, allowing four hits, two earned runs, one walk and five strikeouts. Jason Wilson pitched two innings in relief and yielded five hits, five earned runs, with one walk and one strikeout. Wilson allowed the homer to Lavisky as well.
On Thursday, The Captains will remain home to Eastlake, Ohio to continue the final home stand of the 2012 season. The Captains will send LHP Shawn Morimando (6-6, 3.76) to the mound to face the LHP Sean Bierman (1-0, 1.80) for Bowling Green. First Pitch is scheduled for 7:00 PM.
Thursday is Thirsty Thursday, presented by ESPN 850 WKNR, and will feature a .25-cent beer Happy Hour for one hour before game time and half-price draft beer and fountain soda until 9 PM. Thursday is also Date Night, presented by Fisher's Jewelers at Shoregate, which gives couples the opportunity to purchase two tickets to The Officer's Club Suite and two meal vouchers, a $56 value, for only $30.
The Lake County Captains are a Class A affiliate of the Cleveland Indians and play their home games at Classic Park in Eastlake, at the corners of State Route 91 and Vine Street. For more information on the Captains, please visit the team's official website at www.CaptainsBaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 29, 2012
- Bees Can't Fend off Clinton, 6-3 - Burlington Bees
- Two More for Paolini in 6-3 Win - Clinton LumberKings
- River Bandits Rally Late to Keep Playoff Hopes Alive - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Fall Behind Early, Can't Catch Up Wednesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Votto Returns But Dragons Fall 5-4 - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Announce Roster Moves - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Aguila's Four-Hit Night Not Enough - South Bend Silver Hawks
- 'Caps Take Care of Business, Toss Three-Hitter - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Lugs win 80th, blast past Silver Hawks, 7-3 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Captains Stall Hot Rods 7-2 - Lake County Captains
- Needy Goes the Distance in 1-0 Loss - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Vettleson Hits 15th Jack But Road Streak Ends - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- OF Dalton Pompey Joins Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Argo, Sawyer Received from Princeton - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Lugs' Tamargo Named MWL Manager of the Year, Pillar Honored as MVP - Lansing Lugnuts
- Two Snappers Named Midwest League Post Season All-Stars - Beloit Snappers
- Hedges and Portillo Named MWL Post-Season All-Stars - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- TinCaps' Stites to Play in Arizona Fall League - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Kernels Release 2013 Schedule on September 4th - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- River Bandits Garcia, Walsh Named Postseason All-Stars - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Gameday for August 29 - Dayton Dragons
- Roster Update - Burlington Bees
- 2012 MWL Post-Season All-Star Team Announced - MWL
- Kane County Cougars Homestand Preview: September 1-3 - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons on TV Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Gary Mitchell Promoted to Inland Empire - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Waldrop, Mugarian Are Dragons Players of the Month - Dayton Dragons
- LumberKings Win Second-Half Western Division - Clinton LumberKings
- River Bandits Swept by Clinton in 6-5, 13-Inning Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.