ValleyCats Drop Weekend Series Opener at Washington
WASHINGTON, PA - Making the trip to Wild Things Park in Washington, Pennsylvania for the first time ever, the Tri-City ValleyCats (28-28) could not overcome a slow start in taking a weekend series loss. The 'Cats fell to the Washington Wild Things (29-27), 9-2, giving the Wild Things their fifth straight victory and the ValleyCats their first loss since Sunday.
En-route to out-hitting the visitors, 12-7, the Things jetted out to a 3-0 lead after two innings thanks to an RBI double, sacrifice fly, and a bases-loaded walk, despite getting multi-hit nights from Andres Sosa and Zach Biermann. Tri-City could not get on the board until the latter part of the game, with Washington plating three more in the fourth and one in the fifth to lead, 7-0, after six.
Nelson Molina finally got the 'Cats on the board with his sixth home run of the year in the top of the seventh, but the Wild Things had two more runs in them in the seventh and the eighth to win by a seven-run margin. Left-handed ace Ryan Hennen (7-2) struck out nine and allowed only two earned runs on six and one-thirds innings, while right-hander Eric Heredia (0-2) took the loss by giving up seven runs (six earned) over five innings.
Tri-City will look to even up their first of three series' in Washington against the Wild Things on Saturday, July 31 at 7 PM. The 'Cats will return to Joseph L. Bruno Stadium to host the Sussex County Miners next weekend. First pitch on Friday, August 6 is set for 7:00 PM. Click Here for tickets.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from July 30, 2021
- Slammers Unwrap Win on Christmas in July against Gateway - Joliet Slammers
- ValleyCats Drop Weekend Series Opener at Washington - Tri-City ValleyCats
- ThunderBolts Can't Overcome Early Deficit in 6-2 Loss - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Wild Things Earn Fifth Straight Win in Series Opener - Washington Wild Things
- Adept Arjona Guides Boomers to Series Opening Win - Schaumburg Boomers
- Y'alls Shut out Crushers to End Losing Streak - Florence Y'alls
- Crushers drop second straight 5-0 decision - Lake Erie Crushers
- Equipe Quebec Rallies Past Boulders - New York Boulders
- Early Lead Slips Away for Miners in Evansville - Southern Illinois Miners
- Otters Sweep Y'alls in Gritty Series - Evansville Otters
- Wild Things Sweep Jackals - Washington Wild Things
- Y'alls Swept for First Time in 2021 by Otters - Florence Y'alls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tri-City ValleyCats Stories
- ValleyCats Fall Short of Playoffs on Final Day of Regular Season
- 'Cats Shutout Washington in Must-Win Game
- 'Cats Fall in Final Series Opener of the Season
- 'Cats Split Twin Bill with Miners in Home Finale
- Four 'Cats Named to All Star Team in Tri-City's Inaugural Season in the Frontier League