ThunderBolts Can't Overcome Early Deficit in 6-2 Loss
CRESTWOOD, IL - The ThunderBolts fell into an early hole and couldn't dig their way out as they dropped the opener od a three-game series to the Schaumburg Boomers 6-2 at Ozinga Field Friday night.
Schaumburg (32-25) put the pressure on ThunderBolt starter Tyler Thornton in the first inning, scoring three runs with two outs. The first two batters of the night walked. After back-to-back hitters were retired, Angelo Gumbs came through with a two-run single. Matt Bottcher followed with an RBI triple.
The Boomers doubled that lead in the third inning. Matt McGarry hit a leadoff double and scored on a Chase Dawson base hit. Luke Becker's two-out two-run triple put the game away at 6-0.
The ThunderBolts (23-34) tried to fight back, plating a run in the fifth. Jack Strunc and Anthony Rios hit singles, the latter counting as Rios's first career hit. Brynn Martinez's groundout scored Strunc to make it 6-1.
Things got interesting in the ninth after Dan Robinson hit a leadoff single. Thanks to three walks, the Bolts scored a run and put the tying runner at the plate but Thomas Nicoll got the final out to seal the win for Schaumburg.
Kyle Arjona (7-4) picked up his league-high seventh win with eight strong innings. Thornton (4-6) allowed six runs over six innings and took the loss. Nicoll notched his third save.
The series continues on Saturday Night with a 6:05 first pitch. Kenny Mathews (3-7, 5.16) makes the start for the ThunderBolts against Schaumburg's Andrew Dean (3-5, 4.22). It's Beatles Night presented by Georgio's Banquets Quality Inn & Suites at Ozinga Field and Kaleidoscope Eyes will be on hand to perform a pregame concert starting at 4:15 with fireworks to follow the game. Links to the audio and video broadcasts can be found at wcthunderbolts.com.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from July 30, 2021
- Slammers Unwrap Win on Christmas in July against Gateway - Joliet Slammers
- ValleyCats Drop Weekend Series Opener at Washington - Tri-City ValleyCats
- ThunderBolts Can't Overcome Early Deficit in 6-2 Loss - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Wild Things Earn Fifth Straight Win in Series Opener - Washington Wild Things
- Adept Arjona Guides Boomers to Series Opening Win - Schaumburg Boomers
- Y'alls Shut out Crushers to End Losing Streak - Florence Y'alls
- Crushers drop second straight 5-0 decision - Lake Erie Crushers
- Equipe Quebec Rallies Past Boulders - New York Boulders
- Early Lead Slips Away for Miners in Evansville - Southern Illinois Miners
- Otters Sweep Y'alls in Gritty Series - Evansville Otters
- Wild Things Sweep Jackals - Washington Wild Things
- Y'alls Swept for First Time in 2021 by Otters - Florence Y'alls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.