Union suffer defeat to Fire on road
Bridgeview, Il. - The Eastern Conference-leading Philadelphia Union fell on the road to Chicago Fire on Saturday, August 17 by a 2-0 score. Nemanja Nikolic's first-half brace was the difference for the Union, who now return home for three consecutive regular-season matches, beginning with a contest against D.C. United next Saturday, August 24 at 7:30 p.m. ET (PHL17).
Chicago Fire 2 - Philadelphia Union 0
SeatGeek Stadium (Bridgeview, IL)
Saturday, August 17, 2019
TODAY'S MATCH INFO
Referee: Joseph Dickerson
Assistant Referees: Brian Dunn, TJ Zablocki
Fourth Official: David Gantar
VAR: Younes Marrakchi
Weather: 76 degrees and cloudy
CHI - Nemanja Nikolic (Przemyslaw Frankowski, Johan Kappelhof) 38'
CHI - Nemanja Nikolic (penalty) 45'
PHI - Aurelien Collin (caution) 43'
CHI - Nicolas Gaitan (ejection) 45'+3'
PHI - Jamiro Monteiro (caution) 66'
Philadelphia Union: Andre Blake; Raymon Gaddis (Andrew Wooten 57'), Jack Elliott, Aurelien Collin (Brenden Aaronson 80'), Kai Wagner; Haris Medunjanin; Alejandro Bedoya, Warren Creavalle (Ilsinho 46'); Jamiro Monteiro; Kacper Przybylko, Marco Fabian
Substitutes not used: Joe Bendik; Mark McKenzie, Matt Real, Fafa Picault
Chicago Fire: Kenneth Kronholm; Johan Kappelhof, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Francisco Calvo, Jonathan Bornstein (Grant Lillard 90'+4'); Brandt Bronico, Dax McCarty, Nicolas Gaitan; Przemyslaw Frankowski, Nemanja Nikolic (Micheal Azira 77'), CJ Sapong
Substitutes not used: Richard Sanchez; Marcelo, Amando Moreno, Djordje Mihalovic, Diego Campos
Union defender Raymon Gaddis inched closer to a major milestone, making his 199th appearance by starting tonight's contest ... next weekend against D.C. United, he can become the first Union player to ever reach 200 regular-season appearances with the team.
With 45 points through 27 games played, the Union remain on their all-time single-season best pacing ... through 27 games, the 2018 and the 2016 Union had 40 points, whereas the 2013 Union had 39 points.
The Union return to action with the first of three consecutive MLS regular-season matches at home vs. D.C. United on Saturday, August 24 (7:30 p.m. ET / PHL17).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 17, 2019
- Ten-Man Chicago Fire Blank Philadelphia Union 2-0, Move Within One Point of a Playoff Spot - Chicago Fire
- Chris Wondolowski scores 150th goal in a Quakes uniform; Andres Rios makes MLS debut - San Jose Earthquakes
- Dynamo Rally for 2-2 Draw Behind Manotas Brace - Houston Dynamo
- Notes & Quotes: FC Cincinnati 1 - 4 New York City FC - New York City FC
- Toronto FC (2) - Columbus Crew SC (2) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Sporting Claws Back to Claim 2-1 Win over San Jose - Sporting Kansas City
- Union suffer defeat to Fire on road - Philadelphia Union
- FC Dallas Earns a Point in Comeback Draw against Montreal Impact - FC Dallas
- MNUFC Draw Orlando 1-1 Despite Strong Performance - Minnesota United FC
- Postgame Note: Houston Dynamo 2, Colorado Rapids 2 - Colorado Rapids
- Allan Cruz scores FCC-leading fifth goal of 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- Impact and FC Dallas Draw 3-3 - Montreal Impact
- Orlando City Earn Fourth-Consecutive Result with 1-1 Draw at Minnesota - Orlando City SC
- Red Bulls and Revolution Draw 1-1 at RBA - New York Red Bulls
- New England Revolution Loan Cody Cropper to Harford Athletic - New England Revolution
- Revolution Set Club Record in 1-1 Draw with New York Red Bulls - New England Revolution
- Breaking Down the XI | On Short Rest in Minnesota - Orlando City SC
- Know Your Opponent | Minnesota United FC - Orlando City SC
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at La Galaxy - August 17, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Storylines | City vs. Minnesota United FC - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Philadelphia Union Forward Sergio Santos Voted MLS Player of the Week
- Union claim first place in Eastern Conference; Sergio Santos nets hat-trick
- Philadelphia Union and Southern New Hampshire University Host Third Annual Rompe Las Barreras Job Shadow Program
- Anthony Fontana scores third game winning goal this season for Union
- Philadelphia Union Acquire International Roster Spot from Montreal Impact