Chris Wondolowski scores 150th goal in a Quakes uniform; Andres Rios makes MLS debut
KANSAS CITY, Kan. - The San Jose Earthquakes fell to Sporting Kansas City 2-1 Saturday night at Children's Mercy Park, their first time losing back-to-back matches since dropping points to New York Red Bulls and LAFC on March 16 and 30 respectively. Forward Chris Wondolowski found the back of the net, marking the 10th season in a row that he's scored 10 or more goals in a season.
With his first half goal, Wondolowski scored his record breaking 154th goal of his career and his 150th goal wearing a San Jose Earthquakes jersey.
Midfielder Cristian Espinoza was credited with the assist on Wondolowski's goal. He is the first Earthquakes player with 10 or more assists in a season since Marvin Chavez registered 13 (2012).
The Earthquakes now turn their attention to Los Angeles Football Club on Wednesday, Aug. 21 at Banc of California Stadium in Los Angeles, California (7:30 p.m. PT; UniMas/KNBR 1050/1370 KZSF).
San Jose now holds a 11-9-5 record this season and sits in sixth place in the Western Conference, two points behind fifth place Seattle.
The Earthquakes are now 11-5-5 since the start of April.
San Jose is now 25-27-8 all-time against Sporting Kansas City, including a 8-21-1 record on the road.
Forward Chris Wondolowski scored his 10th goal of the season. He has now scored 10 goals in 10 consecutive seasons.
Wondolowski now has 150 goals in an Earthquakes uniform and 154 goals in his MLS career.
Forward Cristian Espinoza recorded his 10th assist of the season. He is the first Earthquakes player with 10 or more assists in a season since Marvin Chavez registered 13 (2012).
Forward Andres RIos made his MLS debut, entering as a substitute for Judson in the 68th minute. The Argentine forward joined the Quakes via permanent transfer from Racing Club in July.
MLS Regular Season
Sporting Kansas City 2 - 1 San Jose Earthquakes
Aug. 17, 2019 - Children's Mercy Park in Kansas City, Kan.
Scoring Summary: SJ - Chris Wondolowski (Cristian Espinoza) 25; SKC - Benny Feilhaber (Jimmy Medranda) 50; SKC - Graham Smith (unassisted) 76;
Misconduct Summary: SJ - Judson (caution) 59; SJ - Jackson Yueill (caution) SKC - Roger Espinoza (caution) 65; SKC - Johnny Russell (caution) 88
SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES: Daniel Vega; Nick Lima (Shea Salinas 77), Guram Kashia, Florian Jungwirth, Tommy Thompson; Judson (Andres Rios 68), Jackson Yueill; Vako, Magnus Eriksson, Cristian Espinoza; Chris Wondolowski (Danny Hoesen 68).
SHOTS: 25, SHOTS ON GOAL: 3; SAVES: 4; FOULS: 20; CORNER KICKS: 7, OFFSIDES: 3.
SPORTING KANSAS CITY: Tim Melia; Luis Martins, Matt Besler, Graham Smith, Graham Zusi; Felipe Gutierrez; Benny Feilhaber (Ilie Sanchez 60), Roger Espinoza (Gianluca Busio 74); Jimmy Medranda (Daniel Salloi 56), Erik Hurtado, Johnny Russell.
SHOTS: 19, SHOTS ON GOAL: 6; SAVES: 2; FOULS: 19; CORNER KICKS: 2, OFFSIDES: 3.
SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES HEAD COACH MATIAS ALMEYDA
On the game:
"I think it was an even game. Each team had one half. Even though we had our chances to go up one goal, in the second half they scored more goals than us. They stepped up their lines and that's why they beat us."
On Andres Rios' debut:
"I don't focus on one player. I look at the whole team in general. My main thing is to see how the team is doing."
On looking ahead to LAFC:
"I think all opponents are hard for us and this opponent is the one making the biggest difference in the league. We've played against them twice and lost twice. We'll try to do the best that we can. "
EARTHQUAKES FORWARD CHRIS WONDOLOWSKI
On the game:
"A little frustrating. I thought Kansas City came out in the second half and played extremely well. We came out a little flat and got punished and rightfully so."
On his goal:
"It was a designed set piece, something that we work on in the training ground. Great ball by Cristian (Espinoza) and he put it on a platter."
On scoring at least 10 goals in 10 consecutive seasons:
"It's pretty cool, I really wish it came on a win but I'm very proud of that and hope to keep it going."
Images from this story
San Jose Earthquakes midfielder Cristian Espinoza
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 17, 2019
- Ten-Man Chicago Fire Blank Philadelphia Union 2-0, Move Within One Point of a Playoff Spot - Chicago Fire
- Chris Wondolowski scores 150th goal in a Quakes uniform; Andres Rios makes MLS debut - San Jose Earthquakes
- Dynamo Rally for 2-2 Draw Behind Manotas Brace - Houston Dynamo
- Notes & Quotes: FC Cincinnati 1 - 4 New York City FC - New York City FC
- Toronto FC (2) - Columbus Crew SC (2) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Sporting Claws Back to Claim 2-1 Win over San Jose - Sporting Kansas City
- Union suffer defeat to Fire on road - Philadelphia Union
- FC Dallas Earns a Point in Comeback Draw against Montreal Impact - FC Dallas
- MNUFC Draw Orlando 1-1 Despite Strong Performance - Minnesota United FC
- Postgame Note: Houston Dynamo 2, Colorado Rapids 2 - Colorado Rapids
- Allan Cruz scores FCC-leading fifth goal of 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- Impact and FC Dallas Draw 3-3 - Montreal Impact
- Orlando City Earn Fourth-Consecutive Result with 1-1 Draw at Minnesota - Orlando City SC
- Red Bulls and Revolution Draw 1-1 at RBA - New York Red Bulls
- New England Revolution Loan Cody Cropper to Harford Athletic - New England Revolution
- Revolution Set Club Record in 1-1 Draw with New York Red Bulls - New England Revolution
- Breaking Down the XI | On Short Rest in Minnesota - Orlando City SC
- Know Your Opponent | Minnesota United FC - Orlando City SC
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at La Galaxy - August 17, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Storylines | City vs. Minnesota United FC - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Quakes score twice late to earn first win over LAFC
- Earthquakes Provide 74-Day Impact Report for Pledge 74
- Earthquakes Ready for Home Cooking after Brutal Loss
- CEFCU Movie Night Series Returns to Earthquakes Stadium
- Earthquakes Announce Remainder of Regular Season Schedule