Storylines | City vs. Minnesota United FC
A Career Best
With his ninth finish of the season on Wednesday against Sporting Kansas City, Orlando City forward Tesho Akindele set a new single-season career high for goals scored. Akindele found the back of the net eight times as a part of his MLS Rookie of the Year campaign in 2014, with seven of those finishes coming in the regular-season and one in the playoffs. In his first season as a Lion, Akindele has appeared in 21 matches with 18 starts, while adding two assists to his goal contributions this season.
A Clean Record
The Lions' shutout victory on Wednesday served as their seventh of the 2019 season and their third in their last four home contests. The clean sheet ties a Club record set in both 2015 and 2017. With just 34 goals allowed this season through 26 matches, the Lions remain on pace to set a Club record for fewest goals allowed in an MLS season. The current record sits at 56 goals allowed in the Club's inaugural MLS season in 2015.
A Place in Club History
Goalkeeper Brian Rowe recorded three saves on Wednesday against Sporting Kansas City to put him at 76 saves in 2019, passing former Orlando City goalkeeper Tally Hall for second in Club history in total saves. Rowe trails only former Lion Joe Bendik, who holds the Club record with 316 saves in his three seasons in Orlando. With a clean sheet on Wednesday, Rowe matched Bendik's single-season record for shutouts with his seventh of the year, a record Bendik set in 2017.
First of the Year
Midfielders Carlos Ascues and Uri Rosell each earned an assist on Akindele's finish in the 21st minute on Wednesday. Rosell played a ball in behind for Ascues, who cut a cross to the middle of the penalty area for Akindele to run onto for the finish. The assists served as the first for each player this season, putting the Lions total now at 35 assists in 2019.
Facing the West
With their victory on Wednesday over Sporting Kansas City, the Lions now hold a 4-3-1 against Western Conference opponents this season. The last time City traveled to face a Western Conference side this season came in its trip to Portland on July 18, where they battled to a 1-1 draw with the Timbers. Saturday's match will serve as the Lions' first trip to Allianz Field and their second total trip to Minnesota in Club history.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 17, 2019
- Ten-Man Chicago Fire Blank Philadelphia Union 2-0, Move Within One Point of a Playoff Spot - Chicago Fire
- Chris Wondolowski scores 150th goal in a Quakes uniform; Andres Rios makes MLS debut - San Jose Earthquakes
- Dynamo Rally for 2-2 Draw Behind Manotas Brace - Houston Dynamo
- Notes & Quotes: FC Cincinnati 1 - 4 New York City FC - New York City FC
- Toronto FC (2) - Columbus Crew SC (2) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Sporting Claws Back to Claim 2-1 Win over San Jose - Sporting Kansas City
- Union suffer defeat to Fire on road - Philadelphia Union
- FC Dallas Earns a Point in Comeback Draw against Montreal Impact - FC Dallas
- MNUFC Draw Orlando 1-1 Despite Strong Performance - Minnesota United FC
- Postgame Note: Houston Dynamo 2, Colorado Rapids 2 - Colorado Rapids
- Allan Cruz scores FCC-leading fifth goal of 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- Impact and FC Dallas Draw 3-3 - Montreal Impact
- Orlando City Earn Fourth-Consecutive Result with 1-1 Draw at Minnesota - Orlando City SC
- Red Bulls and Revolution Draw 1-1 at RBA - New York Red Bulls
- New England Revolution Loan Cody Cropper to Harford Athletic - New England Revolution
- Revolution Set Club Record in 1-1 Draw with New York Red Bulls - New England Revolution
- Breaking Down the XI | On Short Rest in Minnesota - Orlando City SC
- Know Your Opponent | Minnesota United FC - Orlando City SC
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at La Galaxy - August 17, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Storylines | City vs. Minnesota United FC - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.