Orlando City Earn Fourth-Consecutive Result with 1-1 Draw at Minnesota
ST. PAUL, Minn. - Orlando City SC (9-11-7, 34 points) battled to a 1-1 draw against Minnesota United FC (12-8-6, 42 points) on Saturday night at Allianz Field. Nani scored his ninth goal of the season in the match, converting from the penalty spot in the 70th minute for the Lions. The Portuguese midfielder now sits tied with Tesho Akindele for the team lead in goals scored.
Head Coach James O'Connor:
"Obviously feels like a defeat and that happens when you concede so late on just a cheap goal. I think we defended resolutely, I think when you look at the commitment and the way the guys were defending, if they score like I said there after, from 25-yards out, it'd have been a quality goal there's not too much you can do. But to concede a goal like that so late is just incredibly frustrating for everybody."
70' Nani (PK) - ORL 1, MIN 0
The Lions took the lead after Nani was taken down inside the box by Minnesota's Ike Opara, earning a penalty kick. The Orlando City captain converted from the spot, burying it into the lower left corner.
90+2' Abu Danladi - ORL 1, MIN 1
The Loons leveled the match off a long throw-in, with the ball taking a flick into the box and a deflection before falling to the foot of Danladi for the finish.
Nani scored his ninth goal of the season in the match and his third from the penalty spot, tying Tesho Akindele for the team lead in goals scored.
Mauricio Pereyra made his Orlando City debut on the night, entering for Robinho after the halftime break. Pereyra was signed by the Lions on July 30.
The match served as the Lions' first visit to the newly built Allianz Field and just their second visit to Minnesota in Club history. Next Match: The Lions return home on Friday, August 23 to face Atlanta United FC in a nationally televised match on ESPN as a part of MLS Heineken Rivalry Week. Kickoff is set for 8 p.m. ET at Exploria Stadium.
Teams 1 2 F
Minnesota United FC 0 1 1
Orlando City SC 0 1 1
ORL - Nani (PK) 70'
MIN - Abu Danladi 90+2'
MIN - Jan Gregus (Yellow Card) 32'
ORL - Dom Dwyer (Yellow Card) 57'
MIN - Chase Gasper (Yellow Card) 63'
MIN - Ike Opara (Yellow Card) 70'
Orlando City SC - GK Brian Rowe; D Kamal Miller, Robin Jansson, Lamine Sané, Kyle Smith; M Will Johnson (Carlos Ascues 78'), Nani ©, Sebastián Méndez; F Benji Michel, Dom Dwyer (Tesho Akindele 63'), Robinho (Mauricio Pereyra 46')
Substitutes Not Used: GK Greg Ranjitsingh; D Alex De John, Shane O'Neill; M Sacha Kljestan
Minnesota United FC - GK Vito Mannone; D Chase Gasper, Michael Boxall, Ike Opara, Romain Metanire; M Jan Gregus, Hassani Dotson, Kevin Molino (Robin Lod 59'), Darwin Quintero, Ethan Finlay (Miguel Ibarra 77'); F Angelo Rodriguez (Abu Danladi 28')
Substitutes Not Used: GK Dayne St. Clair; D Brent Kallman; M Rasmus Schuller, Lawrence Olum
Details of the Game:
Time: 8 p.m. ET
Date: Aug. 17, 2019
MIN - 54.1%
ORL - 45.9%
MIN - 22
ORL - 5
MIN - 2
ORL - 5
MIN - 11
ORL - 6
MIN - 4
ORL - 0
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 17, 2019
- Ten-Man Chicago Fire Blank Philadelphia Union 2-0, Move Within One Point of a Playoff Spot - Chicago Fire
- Chris Wondolowski scores 150th goal in a Quakes uniform; Andres Rios makes MLS debut - San Jose Earthquakes
- Dynamo Rally for 2-2 Draw Behind Manotas Brace - Houston Dynamo
- Notes & Quotes: FC Cincinnati 1 - 4 New York City FC - New York City FC
- Toronto FC (2) - Columbus Crew SC (2) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Sporting Claws Back to Claim 2-1 Win over San Jose - Sporting Kansas City
- Union suffer defeat to Fire on road - Philadelphia Union
- FC Dallas Earns a Point in Comeback Draw against Montreal Impact - FC Dallas
- MNUFC Draw Orlando 1-1 Despite Strong Performance - Minnesota United FC
- Postgame Note: Houston Dynamo 2, Colorado Rapids 2 - Colorado Rapids
- Allan Cruz scores FCC-leading fifth goal of 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- Impact and FC Dallas Draw 3-3 - Montreal Impact
- Orlando City Earn Fourth-Consecutive Result with 1-1 Draw at Minnesota - Orlando City SC
- Red Bulls and Revolution Draw 1-1 at RBA - New York Red Bulls
- New England Revolution Loan Cody Cropper to Harford Athletic - New England Revolution
- Revolution Set Club Record in 1-1 Draw with New York Red Bulls - New England Revolution
- Breaking Down the XI | On Short Rest in Minnesota - Orlando City SC
- Know Your Opponent | Minnesota United FC - Orlando City SC
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at La Galaxy - August 17, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Storylines | City vs. Minnesota United FC - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- Lions Overcome Two-Goal Deficit, Earn 3-3 Draw against New England
- Storylines: City vs. New England Revolution
- Orlando City Host New England in Crucial Eastern Conference Match
- By the Numbers: In the Hunt for a Six-Point Swing
- Know Your Opponent | New England Revolution