Undermanned Checkers scrap their way to 2-0 win over Augusta
(Charlotte, North Carolina - Tuesday, March 6) The Charlotte Checkers seem to play their best hockey when they don't dress a full squad. That proved to be the case again Tuesday night. Starting the game with only 14 forwards and defensemen and losing Jan Vodrazka for the second period to an injury, the Checkers gutted out a 2-0 victory at Charlotte Bobcats Arena.
The triumph moved the Checkers (31-21-1-2) to within two points of fourth-place Augusta in the ECHL South, with Charlotte holding four games in hand on the Lynx. The Checkers also increased their hold on fifth place, the final playoff spot in the division, to four points over South Carolina who lost to Columbia Tuesday night 6-4. The win also gave Charlotte a 2-0 mark on its on its current five-game homestand.
Dan Murphy and Nathan Gillies scored the Checkers goals, and goalie Chris Holt earned his first shutout of the season with 27 saves. Lynx goalie David McKee took the loss making 27 saves.
"It's the first shutout of my professional career," said Holt. "We really stayed within our system tonight and played 60 minutes of hockey." Holt also did something quite unorthodox for goalies before the game. "I wore a brand new set of goalie pads fresh out of the box," remarked Holt. "The pads never saw a shot until warmups. That's not at all proper protocol but it didn't hurt me."
The Checkers and the Lynx (32-24-1-2) skated to a scoreless first period, with each team getting two power-play opportunities. Augusta outshot Charlotte 15-11 in the period.
The Checkers drew first blood at 2 minutes, 37 seconds of the second period as Murphy knocked home a Gillies rebound for a 1-0 advantage. Five minutes later Gillies rammed home his own rebound by McKee and Charlotte increased its lead to 2-0. The Checkers finished the second period with a ten to eight shot advantage.
In the final period the Charlotte defense tightened considerable, holding Augusta to only five shots. The Checkers triumph squared the season-series between the two teams at 4-4.
The Checkers five-game homestand continues Thursday at Bobcats Arena when Charlotte takes on the South Carolina Stingrays at 7:00 p.m. in another crucial South Division match.
This Sunday, March 11 the Checkers will host the Gwinnett Gladiators at Bobcats Arena at 4:00 p.m. as Charlotte's five-game homestand continues. This Sunday's game will be the Checkers annual "Salute to Heroes Game." Join the Checkers and the CFD, MEDIC 911, MCSO and CMPD in this exciting salute. The game will feature: special opening ceremonies, Hero's Game and Jersey Auction and Post-Game Skate with Hero's and Checkers players. Team Posters for the first 2,000 fans courtesy of Colonial Grand at Beverly Crest and North Carolina Zoo. Family Four Packs w/ 4 tickets, 4 hot dogs, 4 sodas for $49. Post-Game Autograph Session & Post-Game Skate.
CHECKERS TUESDAY NIGHT SCRATCHES: Dusty Jamieson, Rick Kozak, Lee Falardeau, Adam Nightingale.
ON RECALL TO (AHL) HARTFORD: Alex Westlund, Corey Potter, Bruce Graham and Hannu Pikkarainen.
REASSIGNED FROM CHARLOTTE TO (AHL) HARTFORD BY (NHL) NEW YORK: Hugh Jessiman
ON LOAN FROM CHARLOTTE TO (AHL) PROVIDENCE: Ryan Glenn
FOR BOX SCORE CLICK: http://echl.leaguestat.com/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=1604
Tickets for all Checkers home games can be purchased on the official team web site at www.gocheckers.com, on the telephone by using a credit card and calling 1-800-495-2295, or by visiting the Charlotte Bobcats Arena box office.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 6, 2007
- Wildcatters Halt RoadRunners 7-3 - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Undermanned Checkers scrap their way to 2-0 win over Augusta - Charlotte Checkers
- Inferno Zap Stingrays 6-4 - South Carolina Stingrays
- 'Blades hold first place after 7-2 stomping of Gwinnett - Florida Everblades
- Gladiators Fall to Everblades, 7-2 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Checkers blank Lynx, 2-0 - Augusta Lynx
- Wranglers' Nastiuk named ECHL Saver of the Month - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Rookie Defenseman Coulombe assigned to Victoria - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Long Beach lets the dogs in, literally - Long Beach Ice Dogs
- Falcons to Hold St. Baldrick's Day Event on March 15 - Fresno Falcons
- Dwayne Hay announces his retirement at end of regular season - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Checkers acquire Tuomi from Phoenix - Charlotte Checkers
- Ice Pilots announce a couple of roster moves prior to road trip - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- RoadRunners Acquire Tuomi, Deal Him To Charlotte - Phoenix RoadRunners
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Cincinnati's Ftorek Suspended One Game, Fined - ECHL
- Texas' Herring Fined - ECHL
- South Carolina's Reid Fined - ECHL
- Johnstown's Hrdel Fined - ECHL
- Tifu Named Player of Week - Dayton Bombers
- Bombers' Tifu Named In Glas Co Player Of The Week - ECHL
- Graham and Pikkarainen recalled, Donnelly traded to South Carolina - Charlotte Checkers
- Wranglers' Nastiuk Named RBC Financial Group Saver Of The Month - ECHL
- Ice Pilots Weekly - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Community and Promotions Update - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Wednesday Is "Bikini Night" With The Grizzlies - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Stingrays vs. Inferno Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- Walsh Recalled To Grand Rapids - Toledo Walleye
- Nailers week in review - Wheeling Nailers
- Rays Acquire Donnelly From Charlotte - South Carolina Stingrays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Checkers Stories
- Tracking Panthers Prospects and Former Checkers as Hockey Season Begins
- Checkers will not participate in 2020-21 AHL Season
- Checkers to Continue Affiliation with Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Charlotte Checkers Announce Affiliation with NHL's Florida Panthers
- 'Canes Agree to Terms with David and Jason Cotton