Wranglers' Nastiuk named ECHL Saver of the Month
PRINCETON, N.J. - The ECHL announced today that Kevin Nastiuk of the Las Vegas Wranglers is the RBC Financial Group ECHL Saver of the Month for February.
The 21-year-old went 6-1-2 with a shutout, a goals-against average of 1.84 and a save percentage of .940 as Las Vegas went 9-1-3 in February to lead the Pacific Division with 79 points (33-11-13).
The Edmonton, Alberta native began the month stopping all 27 shots in regulation and overtime for his first shutout of the season, but lost 1-0 to Toledo after allowing two goals in the shootout. In his next two starts, he stopped 52 shots to pick up a pair of wins against Toledo and begin a six-game winning streak. He allowed two goals or less in his next four starts including road wins at Fresno, Stockton and Idaho before closing out the month with a season-high 40 saves in a 3-2 shootout loss at Victoria. Nastiuk lowered his goals-against average for the second month in a row to 2.64 and raised his save percentage for the second straight month to .912.
The 6-foot-1 and 170-pound Nastiuk is 12-8-6 on the season. Nastiuk ranks 10th in the ECHL with a 2.64 goals-against average and is tied for 12th with a .910 save percentage in 27 games.
Selected in the fourth round (126th overall) by Carolina in the 2003 National Hockey Entry Draft and under contract with the Hurricanes, Nastiuk split his rookie season in 2005-06 between Florida of the ECHL and Lowell of the American Hockey League. He was 13-4-2 with a shutout, a 2.52 goals-against average and a .924 save percentage in 20 regular season games and 1-2-0 in three games in the Kelly Cup Playoffs for the Everblades and 1-7-3 with a 3.45 goals-against average and a .887 save percentage in 11 games with the Lock Monsters.
Runners Up: Jamie Hodson, Bakersfield (5-1-2, 1.98 GAA, .939 save pct.) and Steve Silverthorn, Idaho (8-2-2, 2.17 GAA, .920 GAA). Also Nominated: Isaac Reichmuth (Alaska), Dave McKee (Augusta), Chris Holt (Charlotte), Craig Kowalski (Florida), Scott Stirling (Fresno), Dave Caruso (Gwinnett), Yutaka Fukufuji (Reading), Dominic Vicari (Toledo), Gregg Naumenko (Trenton), Rob McVicar (Utah) and Julien Ellis (Victoria).
The Wranglers continue their seven-game home stand tonight when they host the Idaho Steelheads at 7:05 pm. Friday and Saturday night the Wranglers host the Texas Wildcatters at 7:05 pm. Friday night, the Wranglers will hand out team player card sets to the first 2,000 fans, compliments of Cox Communications. On Saturday, fans may attend the Port of Subs Pre-Game Party from 4:30 - 6:30 pm in the concourse of the Orleans Arena.
The Wranglers play all 36 home games at the Orleans Arena, located at the Orleans Hotel and Casino at 4500 W. Tropicana Avenue. Seat packages to see the Wranglers play at the Orleans Arena for the upcoming 2006-07 season are now on sale, starting as low as $157. Call (702) 471-PUCK (7825) for more information or visit www.lasvegaswranglers.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 6, 2007
- Wildcatters Halt RoadRunners 7-3 - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Undermanned Checkers scrap their way to 2-0 win over Augusta - Charlotte Checkers
- Inferno Zap Stingrays 6-4 - South Carolina Stingrays
- 'Blades hold first place after 7-2 stomping of Gwinnett - Florida Everblades
- Gladiators Fall to Everblades, 7-2 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Checkers blank Lynx, 2-0 - Augusta Lynx
- Wranglers' Nastiuk named ECHL Saver of the Month - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Rookie Defenseman Coulombe assigned to Victoria - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Long Beach lets the dogs in, literally - Long Beach Ice Dogs
- Falcons to Hold St. Baldrick's Day Event on March 15 - Fresno Falcons
- Dwayne Hay announces his retirement at end of regular season - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Checkers acquire Tuomi from Phoenix - Charlotte Checkers
- Ice Pilots announce a couple of roster moves prior to road trip - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- RoadRunners Acquire Tuomi, Deal Him To Charlotte - Phoenix RoadRunners
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Cincinnati's Ftorek Suspended One Game, Fined - ECHL
- Texas' Herring Fined - ECHL
- South Carolina's Reid Fined - ECHL
- Johnstown's Hrdel Fined - ECHL
- Tifu Named Player of Week - Dayton Bombers
- Bombers' Tifu Named In Glas Co Player Of The Week - ECHL
- Graham and Pikkarainen recalled, Donnelly traded to South Carolina - Charlotte Checkers
- Wranglers' Nastiuk Named RBC Financial Group Saver Of The Month - ECHL
- Ice Pilots Weekly - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Community and Promotions Update - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Wednesday Is "Bikini Night" With The Grizzlies - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Stingrays vs. Inferno Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- Walsh Recalled To Grand Rapids - Toledo Walleye
- Nailers week in review - Wheeling Nailers
- Rays Acquire Donnelly From Charlotte - South Carolina Stingrays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Las Vegas Wranglers Stories
- Las Vegas Wranglers to Return to the Ice for 2015-16 Season
- Wranglers' Season Comes to Close with 3-2 Game Four Loss to Aces
- Wranglers Fall in Game Three at Home to Alaska, 5-1
- Wranglers Fall to Aces in Game Two Nail-Biter, 3-1
- Wranglers Dropped by Aces in Game One, 5-1