Truelson nets two, but Condors fall 4-3 in Vegas
LAS VEGAS - D Kevin Truelson paced the comeback with two goals, but the Bakersfield Condors came up just short against the Las Vegas Wranglers, 4-3, Monday night in front of 3,347 at Orleans Arena in Las Vegas. The Condors, however, didn't lose any ground in the National Conference playoff race, and remain tied with Stockton for the final spot and sit just one point behind Phoenix for the seventh seed.
Las Vegas F Aki Seitsonen gave the Wranglers (35-10-7, 77 points) the lead on their first shot of the game just 25 seconds into the opening period. Despite the ominous start, the Condors (16-26-9, 41 points) settled in, allowing only six more Las Vegas shots on goal in the frame to keep the deficit just 1-0 heading into the first intermission.
The Wranglers added to their lead 1:34 into the second stanza with RW Adam Cracknell's team-leading 27th tally of the campaign. The Condors came roaring back with two goals in the span of just 38 seconds, as Truelson and D Martin Kubaliak both lit the lamp to tie the game, 2-2.
G Yutaka Fukufuji stopped a flurry of Wranglers shots in the opening minutes of the third, but LW Ryan Donally and C Tyler Mosienko gave Las Vegas a 4-2 lead with back-to-back tallies. Truelson led a furious comeback attempt in the final minute of the game, scoring his second goal of the night, and 12th of the year, to bring Bakersfield within one and account for the 4-3 final score.
Notes from The Nest: D Martin Kubaliak, who signed with Bakersfield on Feb. 14, scored his first goal as a Condor and first ECHL goal tonight. F Andrew Ianiero notched his team-leading 32nd assist tonight, and now has eight points (2g, 6a) in his last five games.
The Condors return home for the Condors Fighting Cancer Hockey-Thon Weekend, a 41-hour hockey marathon organized by Condors legend Kevin Barrett that includes Condors games on Feb. 23 and 24.
On Saturday, Feb. 23, they host the Stockton Thunder at 7 p.m. The first 2,000 fans, 12-and-under, will receive a Yutaka Fukufuji Bobblehead Doll, courtesy of ABC23 and Carl's Jr. Doors open at 6 p.m., puck drops at 7 p.m.
On Sunday, Feb. 24, the Condors host the Fresno Falcons for a 2 p.m. matinee, sponsored by Bright House Networks, KUZZ 107.9 and Hudson Custom Construction. Prior to the game, Condors and Falcons Alumni will square off in a charity match at noon. Doors will open at 11:45 a.m. that day.
Individual game tickets are on sale and may be purchased through Rabobank Arena Box Office, which is open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturdays with extended hours on game days. Tickets may also be purchased by phone at 322-2525, online at www.bakersfieldcondors.com, or at any Ticketmaster location.
Season tickets, mini plans and group outings are available at the Condors office located at 1001 Truxtun Avenue or by calling 324-PUCK (7825).
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 19, 2008
- Ice Pilots Skid To Victory In Wolves' Den - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Captain Sullivan Lifts Ice Pilots to Huge 5-4 WIN at Mississippi - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Losing Streak Goes Down In Flames; Jackals Douse The Devils 6-2 - Elmira Jackals
- Devils Bitten by Jackals, 6-2 - Trenton Devils
- Chiefs' Search For Rock Stars Continues - Johnstown Chiefs
- Zbynek Hrdel Reassigned To Mississippi - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Bakersfield climbs into tie for final playoff spot with Stockton - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Turple Called Up to AHL Grand Rapids - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Grumet-Morris Named Rbk Hockey Goalie Of The Week - ECHL
- Grumet-Morris Named Rbk Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Week - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fresno Falcons Host San Diego Chicken One Final Time - Fresno Falcons
- Step Back in Time with the Inferno - Columbia Inferno
- Jackals Add May And Donati For Dance With The Devils - Elmira Jackals
- Gladiators Acquire Grimaldi from Fresno - Atlanta Gladiators
- Devils Shake Off Scoring Slump - Trenton Devils
- Stuart MacRae Reacquired in Trade with Gwinnett - Fresno Falcons
- Brodeur's Back, Will be in Uniform at Mississippi Tonight - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Familiar forward Shane Hynes back with Augusta Lynx - Augusta Lynx
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Truelson nets two, but Condors fall 4-3 in Vegas - Bakersfield Condors
- Wranglers Ground Condors, 4-3 - Las Vegas Wranglers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bakersfield Condors Stories
- Condors to Honor Healthcare Heroes/Essential Workers Opening Weekend
- American Hockey League Cancels Remainder of 2019-20 Season
- Condors to Host Virtual Fun Run to Benefit Special Olympics
- Condors Sign Stukel and Kaldis to AHL Deals
- Condors Sign Jake Kulevich to AHL Deal