Familiar forward Shane Hynes back with Augusta Lynx
Augusta, GA - Augusta Lynx Head Coach Bob Ferguson announced today that the Lynx have added forward Shane Hynes, who was assigned by the Portland Pirates of the American Hockey League. Hynes, 24, played in 49 games with the Augusta Lynx last season, scoring 45 points. The forward from Calgary, Alberta began this season on Portland's roster, but had yet to play a game this season due to injury. He is expected to be in the line-up on Friday against Florida for his first action of the season.
Hynes had an excellent season last year with the Lynx. The 6'3, 225 lbs. forward averaged almost a point per game. Hynes posted five three-point games throughout the season, including a hat-trick back on December 15, 2006, in a home game against Florida. His best month came in February 2007 when he scored 12 points in eight games played. Hynes was selected to represent the Lynx in the 2007 ECHL All-Star Game, however did not participate due to injury.
Hynes was a 2003, 3rd round draft pick of the Anaheim Ducks. He played three years of NCAA Division I hockey for the Cornell University Big Red, where he was teammates with former Lynx goaltender Dave McKee. During his junior season in 2004-05, Hynes was second on the team in scoring with 28 points in 33 games played. Following the conclusion of his junior year, Hynes decided to turn pro and spent the 2005-06 season with the Portland Pirates in the AHL, playing in 12 games. During his time with the Lynx last year, Hynes was called up to Portland once, playing in five games during the regular season.
To make room for Hynes, the Lynx released forward James Brannigan, who was signed back on December 27th with the Lynx. Brannigan played in 20 games with the Lynx and scored eight points. Brannigan's best performance came in an 8-6 win at Gwinnett back on January 29th where he scored three points and was +4. The forward from Brooklyn, New York, hadn't scored a goal in his last seven games and was a combined -4 in the last two losses for the Lynx in Florida.
The Augusta Lynx return home after a 10-day layoff on Friday, February 22nd against the Florida Everblades at 7:35pm at the James Brown Arena. The Lynx will host Honda Cars of Aiken Night on Friday. On Saturday, February 23rd the Lynx will host the South Carolina Stingrays at 7:05pm at the James Brown Arena. Saturday is the live jersey auction for the game-worn white Lynx player jerseys. Following the game, there will be a live auction for the actual white jerseys worn by the Lynx players throughout the 2007-08 season. For tickets, call 706-724-4ICE or visit the Lynx website at www.augustalynx.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 19, 2008
- Ice Pilots Skid To Victory In Wolves' Den - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Captain Sullivan Lifts Ice Pilots to Huge 5-4 WIN at Mississippi - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Losing Streak Goes Down In Flames; Jackals Douse The Devils 6-2 - Elmira Jackals
- Devils Bitten by Jackals, 6-2 - Trenton Devils
- Chiefs' Search For Rock Stars Continues - Johnstown Chiefs
- Zbynek Hrdel Reassigned To Mississippi - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Bakersfield climbs into tie for final playoff spot with Stockton - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Turple Called Up to AHL Grand Rapids - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Grumet-Morris Named Rbk Hockey Goalie Of The Week - ECHL
- Grumet-Morris Named Rbk Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Week - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fresno Falcons Host San Diego Chicken One Final Time - Fresno Falcons
- Step Back in Time with the Inferno - Columbia Inferno
- Jackals Add May And Donati For Dance With The Devils - Elmira Jackals
- Gladiators Acquire Grimaldi from Fresno - Atlanta Gladiators
- Devils Shake Off Scoring Slump - Trenton Devils
- Stuart MacRae Reacquired in Trade with Gwinnett - Fresno Falcons
- Brodeur's Back, Will be in Uniform at Mississippi Tonight - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Familiar forward Shane Hynes back with Augusta Lynx - Augusta Lynx
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Truelson nets two, but Condors fall 4-3 in Vegas - Bakersfield Condors
- Wranglers Ground Condors, 4-3 - Las Vegas Wranglers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.