Losing Streak Goes Down In Flames; Jackals Douse The Devils 6-2
ELMIRA, NY - Benoit Doucet scored twice and Tyler Donati contributed three assists to lead the Elmira Jackals to a 6-2 win over the Trenton Devils in front of 3,040 fans Tuesday night at First Arena. The win was the Jackals' first since February 3rd, snapping a five-game losing streak while extending the Devils' woes to nine consecutive defeats (0-6-2-1).
It didn't come easily for the Jackals early on despite the fact that Trevor Hendrikx gave Elmira a 1-0 lead 4:52 into play when his drive from the high slot splits the pads of Devils' netminder Jason Smith (28 saves). It was the 6th goal of the season for the Elmira blueliner.
The scrappy visitors came back with goals sixty-two seconds apart (Matt Radoslovich and Joe Rooney) on Jackals' rookie Ervins Mustukovs (30 saves), making his first ECHL start, to take a 2-1 lead into the first intermission.
What made this one somewhat of an uphill battle was that the Jackals came up empty on two substantial 5-on-3 power play chances against the league's worst penalty killing unit (77.6%). Wasting a 1:25 sequence with four minutes left in the opening period, Elmira then received a 1:21 two-man chance that bridged late in the first period into the second.
After six fruitless power plays and still trailing by a goal, the Jackals put three goals on the board in the final 8:12 of the middle period to take control of this one and make their recent losing skid a distant memory.
Power play number seven trickled down to just three seconds remaining when Doucet found a Hendrikx rebound in his skates, turned and lifted home his 16th of the year from the edge of the crease to tie the game at 11:48.
Exactly six minutes later, Donati blocked a pass at his own line and chipped it ahead to Scott May to start a two-on-one rush. May cut to the left wing in the Devils zone and looked to dish to Donati, but there was no lane. May found Chaz Johnson trailing in the slot, set him up and Johnson drilled home his 18th goal at 17:48 to put the Jackals in front to stay 3-2.
The three-goal uprising was complete seventy-one seconds later as another rush into the Trenton zone pulled the defense wide on the left wing. Luke Fritshaw snapped the puck to the deep slot where Pierre-Luc Faubert and Frank Littlejohn were breaking. As the puck deflected off of Faubert, Littlejohn was right there for a second deflection and into the net for a 4-2 lead heading to the second intermission break. For Littlejohn, the goal was his 19th of the year and he now has goals in three of his last four contests.
Doucet netted his second of the game, and 17th of year, at 6:15 of the third to make it 5-2 on an assist from Matt Gens before Igor Pohanka closed out the scoring, striking for his 10th of the season with 1:14 left in the game for a 6-2 final.
The Jackals held the edge in shot on the night 34-32 while both clubs struggled on the power play. Elmira was 1-for-10 while Trenton was scoreless in ten opportunities and now hasn't scored a power play goal in their last seven games (0-for-41).
The win not only ended a season-high losing streak for the Jackals, but more importantly, lifted Elmira six points clear of the third place Reading Royals. The clubs meet tomorrow night at Sovereign Center in a 6:35 p.m. face-off (6:05 p.m. Countdown to Face-Off on MAGIC FM - 92.7/97.7) with the Royals unbeaten in regulation in their last four contests (3-0-1-0) and 7-2-1-0 in their last ten games.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 19, 2008
- Ice Pilots Skid To Victory In Wolves' Den - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Captain Sullivan Lifts Ice Pilots to Huge 5-4 WIN at Mississippi - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Losing Streak Goes Down In Flames; Jackals Douse The Devils 6-2 - Elmira Jackals
- Devils Bitten by Jackals, 6-2 - Trenton Devils
- Chiefs' Search For Rock Stars Continues - Johnstown Chiefs
- Zbynek Hrdel Reassigned To Mississippi - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Bakersfield climbs into tie for final playoff spot with Stockton - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Turple Called Up to AHL Grand Rapids - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Grumet-Morris Named Rbk Hockey Goalie Of The Week - ECHL
- Grumet-Morris Named Rbk Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Week - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fresno Falcons Host San Diego Chicken One Final Time - Fresno Falcons
- Step Back in Time with the Inferno - Columbia Inferno
- Jackals Add May And Donati For Dance With The Devils - Elmira Jackals
- Gladiators Acquire Grimaldi from Fresno - Atlanta Gladiators
- Devils Shake Off Scoring Slump - Trenton Devils
- Stuart MacRae Reacquired in Trade with Gwinnett - Fresno Falcons
- Brodeur's Back, Will be in Uniform at Mississippi Tonight - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Familiar forward Shane Hynes back with Augusta Lynx - Augusta Lynx
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Truelson nets two, but Condors fall 4-3 in Vegas - Bakersfield Condors
- Wranglers Ground Condors, 4-3 - Las Vegas Wranglers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.