Toros Announce Returning and Allocated Players
AUSTIN, Texas (Nov. 6, 2008) - The Austin Toros announced today Serge Angounou, Eric Dawson, Carldell Johnson, and Marcus Williams will return for the 2008-09 season.
Charles Gaines and Malik Hairston were assigned by the NBA D-League as allocated players; Tack Minor was awarded a roster opportunity after participating in local player tryouts earlier this month.
Serge Angounou (6-8, 236, Arizona State) averaged five points and four rebounds in 20 games with the Toros last season. Eric Dawson was plagued by injury in his rookie year and the 6-9 forward/center from Midwestern State looks to capitalize on his rehabilitation during the summer months. Point guard Carldell "Squeeky" Johnson (5-10, 178, UAB) averaged four points, two rebounds, and three assists in 49 games.
Guard/forward Marcus Williams (6-7, 205, Arizona) received Gatorade Call-ups from the San Antonio Spurs and finished the season with the LA Clippers. Williams was selected in the second round of the 2007 NBA draft by the San Antonio Spurs and appeared in seven preseason games before joining the Toros. Williams averaged 19 points and seven rebounds in 36 games with the Toros. He received third team recognition for the 2007-08 season and was player of the week for March 10, 2008.
Forward Charles Gaines (6-9, 223, Southern Mississippi) played in Spain, France, Italy, and most recently Turkey, where he appeared in 28 games and averaged 12 points and eight rebounds in the Turkish TBL League. Guard/forward Malik Hairston (6-6, 200, Oregon) averaged 16 points, four rebounds, and two assists in his final season at Oregon. Guard Tack Minor (6-0, 196, LSU) averaged 23 points and five assists in Mexico last season.
"We are very pleased to have our returning players," said Toros head coach Quin Snyder. We are excited to continue in their development. Additionally, we believe Gaines, Hairston, and Minor have great potential to succeed in this league."
Toros fan will gather at Champions Sports Bar (4th and Trinity) to participate in the 2008 NBA D-League draft November 7th starting at 7 p.m. ET. The first round of the draft will air live on NBA TV.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 6, 2008
- Mad Ants Announce Allocated and Returning Players - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Idaho Stampede Announce Returning and Allocated Players - Idaho Stampede
- Joe Crawford and Brandon Heath Highlight D-Fenders Training Camp Invitees (11/6/08) - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Toros Announce Returning and Allocated Players - Austin Spurs
- Jackson, Ingram, Hall Among Seven Set to Report to Flash Camp - Utah Flash
- 66ers Announce Allocated and Returning Players - Tulsa 66ers
- Anaheim Arsenal Awarded Three Allocation Players - Anaheim Arsenal
- SKYFORCE ANNOUNCES 2008-09 TRAINING CAMP INVITEES - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Colorado 14ers Single Game Tickets On Sale Friday - Colorado 14ers
- Long Time NBA Coach Bob Hill to Lead NBA Development League Coaching Consultants - G League
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.