Toronto's 2019 Team Award Winners Announced
TORONTO - The Canadian Football League announced today the team winners for the 2019 Shaw CFL Awards.
The players were selected by voting members of the Football Reporters of Canada (FRC) and CFL head coaches.
East and West Division winners will be announced on Thursday, November 7, 2019.
The 2019 Shaw CFL Awards will be handed out on Thursday, November 21, 2019 in Calgary during Grey Cup week.
Toronto's nominees include:
Most Outstanding Player: Derel Walker
Walker has hauled in 65 receptions for a team-leading 1,040 yards (11th in the CFL) and six touchdowns over 15 games this year. The former Most Outstanding Rookie in 2015 averages 16 yards a catch, good for third best in the league among players with at least 30 receptions including a 96-yard score during the Labour Day Classic in Hamilton.
Most Outstanding Defensive Player & Most Outstanding Canadian: Cleyon Laing
Laing, an Edmonton native, has been a force in the interior of the Argos defensive line all year by racking up 27 defensive tackles and seven sacks (Argos team high and eighth best in the CFL) thus far over 15 games. The three-time CFL East All-Star (2015, 2017-2018) is one sack shy of tying a career high with one game to play. Laing was Toronto's choice for Most Outstanding Defensive Player last year and Canadian in 2015.
Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman: Sean McEwen*
McEwen, Toronto's choice for this award the last two seasons including being the 2017 East nominee, has been a staple up front for Toronto in 2019, starting all 17 games, one of only two Toronto offensive lineman to do that this season. After McEwen make's his 18th start in the season finale in Hamilton on Saturday, the Calgary native will have played in every game for six straight seasons.
Most Outstanding Special Teams Player: Chris Rainey
Rainey, a two-time B.C. Lions team nominee for Most Outstanding Special Teams Player (2015-2016), currently leads the league in kick return yards with 1,196 off 59 returns. Rainey sits fourth in the CFL in punt returns yards with 596 yards on 62 returns including a 79-yard punt return touchdown in Week 4 vs. B.C. Rainey now sits 30th all-time in combined yards with 12, 806.
Most Outstanding Rookie: Kennan Gilchrist
Gilchrist, 25, leads all Argo rookies in defensive tackles and sacks with 29 and four respectively in 13 games this season. The first year CFL player has also added an interception this year and has played a key role coming off the edge and applying pressure on opposing quarterbacks.
*denotes unanimous selection
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from October 30, 2019
- Tiger-Cats Mourn the Loss of Former Head Coach Charlie Taaffe - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- First-Ever LFA Canadian Draft to Offer Professional Opportunities in Mexico - CFL
- Alouettes 2019 Most Outstanding Players: Muamba, Stanback and Matte Honoured - Montreal Alouettes
- BC Lions Wrap-Up 2019 on Saturday with Visit from Stampeders - B.C. Lions
- RedBlacks Announce Team Winners for the 2019 Shaw CFL Awards - Ottawa RedBlacks
- Double Nominee Holley Leads List of Award Finalists - Calgary Stampeders
- 2019 Tiger-Cats Team Awards Announced - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- 2019 CFL Team Award-Winners Announced - CFL
- Eskimos Team Winners Announced for 2019 CFL Awards - EE Football Team
- Winnipeg Blue Bombers Announce Team Nominees for Player Awards - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Toronto's 2019 Team Award Winners Announced - Toronto Argonauts
- Bryan Burnham Headlines BC Lions 2019 Outstanding Player Nominees - B.C. Lions
- Roughriders 2019 Team Award Winners Unveiled - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Riders Release Pair from Practice Roster - Saskatchewan Roughriders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.