Winnipeg Blue Bombers Announce Team Nominees for Player Awards
WINNIPEG, MB. - The Canadian Football League today announced the team nominees for the 2019 Most Outstanding Player Awards, voted by members of the local chapter of the Football Reporters of Canada (FRC) and the league's head coaches.
Bombers defensive end Willie Jefferson has been named the team's Most Outstanding Player and was a unanimous selection as the Most Outstanding Defensive Player. Jefferson's first season as a member of the Bombers was superb as he set a new CFL record for pass knockdowns by a defensive lineman with 16, which also leads the league heading into the final weekend of the regular season. Jefferson also had a team-best 12 sacks, six forced fumbles (also a league best), along with 24 tackles, one interception and two fumble recoveries. Jefferson was also a double nominee last year as a member of the Saskatchewan Roughriders.
Bombers fullback Mike Miller was a unanimous choice as the team's Most Outstanding Special Teams Player and was also named the Most Outstanding Canadian Player.
Miller is currently tied with teammate Kerfalla Exumé for second in the CFL with 25 special teams tackles and has moved into second place on the league's all-time list in that category. Miller added six catches for 63 yards and one carry for 10 yards this season.
The veteran fullback issued the following statement in regard to his selection as the Bombers Most Outstanding Canadian:
"It is my honour to be named the Most Outstanding Special Teams Player for the Bombers, but I feel I must speak out in support of Andrew Harris as our team's Most Outstanding Canadian. Andrew is one of the true leaders on our team and one of the best players in the history of the Canadian Football League, and it is a shame he is not being recognized after such a sensational season. I will accept the Canadian nomination on Andrew's behalf, but do so reluctantly and while completely disagreeing with his omission."
Stanley Bryant was the unanimous choice as the Bombers' Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman, the third straight season he has been so honoured and fourth time since he signed with the club in 2015.
Bryant helped anchor an offensive line that opened holes for Harris and the league's highest-ranked rushing attack. Bryant has not missed a single game in his five years in blue and gold and is the CFL's reigning Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman after wins in both 2017 and 2018. No CFL player in the history of the award (dating back to 1974) has won the award in three successive seasons.
Receiver Kenny Lawler was named the Bombers Most Outstanding Rookie after a season in which he led the Bombers with 637 receiving yards on 43 catches, four of them for touchdowns.
The West and East Division winners will be announced next week following another round of voting, with the CFL's Most Outstanding Player Awards announced during Grey Cup week in Calgary.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from October 30, 2019
- Tiger-Cats Mourn the Loss of Former Head Coach Charlie Taaffe - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- First-Ever LFA Canadian Draft to Offer Professional Opportunities in Mexico - CFL
- Alouettes 2019 Most Outstanding Players: Muamba, Stanback and Matte Honoured - Montreal Alouettes
- BC Lions Wrap-Up 2019 on Saturday with Visit from Stampeders - B.C. Lions
- RedBlacks Announce Team Winners for the 2019 Shaw CFL Awards - Ottawa RedBlacks
- Double Nominee Holley Leads List of Award Finalists - Calgary Stampeders
- 2019 Tiger-Cats Team Awards Announced - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- 2019 CFL Team Award-Winners Announced - CFL
- Eskimos Team Winners Announced for 2019 CFL Awards - Edmonton Eskimos
- Winnipeg Blue Bombers Announce Team Nominees for Player Awards - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Toronto's 2019 Team Award Winners Announced - Toronto Argonauts
- Bryan Burnham Headlines BC Lions 2019 Outstanding Player Nominees - B.C. Lions
- Roughriders 2019 Team Award Winners Unveiled - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Riders Release Pair from Practice Roster - Saskatchewan Roughriders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.