Bryan Burnham Headlines BC Lions 2019 Outstanding Player Nominees
(Vancouver) The BC Lions Football Club is pleased to announce its list of CFL Outstanding Player nominees for 2019 as selected by the local chapter of the Football Reporters of Canada:
Bryan Burnham (Outstanding Player)
Lemar Durant (Outstanding Canadian)
T.J. Lee (Outstanding Defensive Player)
Joel Figueroa (Outstanding Lineman)
Sergio Castillo (Outstanding Special Teams Player)
Jevon Cottoy (Outstanding Rookie)
With one game left on the schedule, Burnham sits second among all CFL receivers and has already reached career-highs in receptions (93), receiving yards (1,401) and touchdowns (10). Eclipsing the 1,000-yard mark for the fourth-consecutive season and making the art of the circus catch a weekly occurrence, the six-year veteran was a unanimous selection among voters.
Fellow receiver Lemar Durant enjoyed a break-out campaign of his own and picks-up the unanimous nod as Outstanding Canadian. Doubling his previous career-high in receptions and receiving yards before an injury sidelined his season after 15 games, the Coquitlam native and SFU grad developed into a primary target for Mike Reilly hauling in 57 catches for 810 yards and five majors.
Anchoring the secondary from his halfback position, T.J. Lee enjoys his first selection as the club's Outstanding Defensive Player. Currently second on the team in both tackles (60) and interceptions (3), the six-year pro was a guiding force during the club's four-game winning streak in which the defence did not surrender more than 23 points.
Figueroa tallies his second Outstanding Lineman nomination in as many years as the O-line bounced back from a challenging first half of the 2019 season. A solid year from the Miami native helped quarterback Mike Reilly pass for almost 4,000 yards while paving the way for running back John White to a career-high in rushing yards.
Currently the only CFL kicker with a field goal success rate above 90 per cent (40 for 44), Sergio Castillo easily earned a unanimous selection as Outstanding Special Teams Player. Setting career-highs in attempts, makes and points-scored, the first-year Leo has been a bright spot for the club in 2019.
Plucked from the local junior ranks, Jevon Cottoy turned heads in training camp with his size and athletic ability which he parlayed into a starting spot on offence and a nomination as Most Outstanding Rookie. The future is bright for the 'Langley Locomotive' who played like a seasoned veteran this year pulling down 38 receptions for 386 yards and a touchdown over 16 appearances.
The final BC Lions home game for 2019 is Saturday, November 2 versus the Calgary Stampeders presented by Nissan.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from October 30, 2019
- Tiger-Cats Mourn the Loss of Former Head Coach Charlie Taaffe - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- First-Ever LFA Canadian Draft to Offer Professional Opportunities in Mexico - CFL
- Alouettes 2019 Most Outstanding Players: Muamba, Stanback and Matte Honoured - Montreal Alouettes
- BC Lions Wrap-Up 2019 on Saturday with Visit from Stampeders - B.C. Lions
- RedBlacks Announce Team Winners for the 2019 Shaw CFL Awards - Ottawa RedBlacks
- Double Nominee Holley Leads List of Award Finalists - Calgary Stampeders
- 2019 Tiger-Cats Team Awards Announced - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- 2019 CFL Team Award-Winners Announced - CFL
- Eskimos Team Winners Announced for 2019 CFL Awards - Edmonton Eskimos
- Winnipeg Blue Bombers Announce Team Nominees for Player Awards - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Toronto's 2019 Team Award Winners Announced - Toronto Argonauts
- Bryan Burnham Headlines BC Lions 2019 Outstanding Player Nominees - B.C. Lions
- Roughriders 2019 Team Award Winners Unveiled - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Riders Release Pair from Practice Roster - Saskatchewan Roughriders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent B.C. Lions Stories
- BC Lions Mourn Passing of Team Owner and CFL Giant David Braley
- BC Lions General Manager Ed Hervey Stepping Down
- OHA Online Auction Raises over $18,500 for Amateur Football in British Columbia
- Lions Launch Coaches Playbook Presented by BOSA Construction and GML Mechanical Ltd.
- Orange Helmet Awards Silent Auction on Now