TinCaps Game Notes: June 22 at Great Lakes (Game 71)
Fort Wayne TinCaps (1-0, 34-36) @ Great Lakes Loons (1-1, 44-25)
RHP Sam Keating vs. LHP Robinson Ortiz (No. 24 Dodgers prospect)
Saturday, June 22 - Dow Diamond (Midland, Mich.) - First Pitch 7:05 PM (Game 71 / 138)
LISTEN: John Nolan & Evan Stockton (ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn)
FRIDAY NIGHT: The TinCaps saw a 3-0 lead turn into a 6-3 loss to the Loons. Luis Roman and Blake Hunt had RBI singles in the second and third innings, while Agustin Ruiz went 3-for-3 with a hit by pitch.
HAIL TO THE VICTORS: University of Michigan pitching coach Chris Fetter is a former TinCaps pitcher. Fetter, a Carmel, Ind., native and Carmel HS alum, graduated from Michigan in 2009, was drafted by the Padres in the 9th round, and then pitched in 7 games for the 'Caps later that summer (6 starts, including 2 in the postseason as Fort Wayne won the Midwest League title). Fetter returned to the Fort in 2012 to make 3 starts and 3 relief appearances. He finished his TinCaps career with a 2.21 ERA... Fetter transitioned to the role of a coach for Double-A San Antonio in 2013 (when TinCaps manager Anthony Contreras spent part of that season there as a player), then worked as a scout for the Angels, became Ball State's pitching coach for the 2016 season, joined the Dodgers as a minor league pitching coordinator for 2017, and returned to Ann Arbor last year.
HOT CAPS: Fort Wayne has won 6 of its last 8 games-all against teams with winning records (Bowling Green, Lake County, and Great Lakes).
X IS A FACTOR: Infielder Xavier Edwards leads the MWL in batting average (.339) and ranks 2nd in OBP (.398). He has the 2nd lowest swinging strike % in the league, as he's swung and missed at only 4% of the pitches he's seen. His K% of 11% is the 5th lowest in the league. With 26 BB vs. 31 K, his 0.84 BB/K is 6th. When he's put the ball in play, 48% of the time he's hit it the opposite way- highest rate in the MWL). Meanwhile, he's posted a BA of .519 this season on the first pitch of an at bat. 28 of Xavier's league-leading 83 hits (33%) have come while swinging in an 0-0 count.
MAKING HIS MARK: Infielder Tucupita Marcano has struck out in only 10% of his plate appearances this season, the 4th lowest K% in the MWL. He's swung and missed at just 4% of the pitches he's seen, the 5th lowest rate in the MWL.
LITTLE POWER: Outfielder Grant Little doubled twice on Thursday, marking the first time he's had multiple extra-base hits in a game this season. Little has struck out at a just 14% rate this season, 9th lowest in the MWL.
POWER SURGE: Outfielder Agustin Ruiz has launched 3 homers over his last 10 games after not homering in his first 51 games of the season. His 38 RBIs on the year rank 10th in the MWL... Ruiz matched his career-best with 3 hits Friday night, his 3rd 3-hit game of the year and 2nd in a 5-game span.
HOT CURRY: In 22 games since May 26, outfielder Michael Curry has slashed .319/.415/.493 (.908 OPS) with 6 doubles, 2 home runs, and 11 RBIs. Curry is 7th in the MWL in OPS during this time.
CATCHING ON: Catcher Juan Fernandez started his season 0-for-18 at the plate but is 28-for-80 (.350) since. He's currently on a season-best 11-game on-base streak.
SOUTHPAW SUCCESS: Infielder Luis Almanzar has hit .269 with a .406 OBP versus lefties this season (compared to .202/.284 vs. RHP). As a team, the 'Caps have slashed .252/.348/.327 (.675 OPS) vs. LHP and .243/.326/.345 (.671 OPS) vs. RHP. For context, in the 16-team MWL, that OPS vs. LHP ranks 8th, while their OPS vs. RHP ranks 10th.
MELLY-ON: Infielder Kelvin Melean has hit safely in 4 consecutive games after he went 5 games in a row without a hit (which followed 4 straight with a hit.)
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 22, 2019
- Snappers fall as McIntyre scuffles in second-half debut - Beloit Snappers
- Pair of Narrow Victories Drive Doubleheader Sweep - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Win on Walkoff Wild Pitch - Peoria Chiefs
- Thanks for the Wild Pitches - Great Lakes Loons
- Casanova, Winder Lead Kernels in Narrow Tilt - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Four Run First Helps Bandits to Victory - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Keating Tosses Six Scoreless in 11-Inning Loss - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Losing Streak Swells to Six Games - Clinton LumberKings
- Captains Pull Rank on Whitecaps - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Return Favor, 4-1 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Royalty Commands Whitecaps - Lake County Captains
- Wisconsin Shuts Out Clinton to Win Third Straight - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons Limit Lansing to 4 Hits in 4-1 Win - Dayton Dragons
- LumberKings Come Home for Seven-Game Stand - Clinton LumberKings
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 22 at Great Lakes (Game 71) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- No-No Caps Doubleheader Sweep - Lake County Captains
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- Fan Vote: TinCaps/Manzanas Luchadoras Join MiLB's "The Greatest Gorra" Cap Competition
- Fort Wayne Fans Savor TinCaps Family 5-Meal Kits
- TinCaps Freshen up Family 5-Meal Kits Menu
- Ft. Wayne's Farmers Market to Extend at Parkview Field, Move Outside
- TinCaps Update Family 5-Meal Kits Menu for Memorial Day Weekend