Pair of Narrow Victories Drive Doubleheader Sweep
Geneva, Illinois - The Kane County Cougars (38-34, 3-0) took both games of a doubleheader from the Burlington Bees (39-34, 0-3) on Saturday night, winning game one, 3-2, and taking game two, 4-2. The Cougars are riding a season-high five-game winning streak, dating back to the first half of the season.
In game one, the Cougars manufactured a second inning run. With the bases loaded and two outs, Tra Holmes hit a ball to second baseman Kevin Maitan. He misplayed the ball, allowing the Cougars to take a 1-0 edge. In the bottom of the second the Bees took a 2-1 lead on RBIs from Francisco Del Valle and Tim Millard. In the following inning, Buddy Kennedy ripped a two-run homer that proved to be the game-winner.
Jackson Goddard (4-2) completed his longest outing of the year, 5.2 innings of two-run ball, to earn the win. Blake Workman (7) improved to seven-for-seven in save opportunities, retiring all four batters he faced, including three strikeouts. Jose Soriano (5-6) took the loss. He allowed all three Cougar runs.
In game two, Keshawn Lynch carried a bulk of the offensive load for the Cougars. His RBI single in the second gave the Cougars a 1-0 advantage. After Kevin Maitan's two-run homer in the bottom of the third gave the Bees a 2-1 lead, Lynch tied the game at 2-2 with a fourth inning sacrifice fly. With one out in the seventh, Zac Almond delivered a game-winning two-run homer.
Matt Tabor did not factor into the decision on the mound for the Cougars, despite a team season-high nine strikeouts over five innings. Chester Pimentel (3-5) pitched two innings of scoreless ball to earn the win. Eduardo Del Rosario (0-1) allowed Almond's game-clinching blast. Del Rosario shouldered the loss.
The Cougars and Bees close out the four-game series on Sunday afternoon at 2:00 P.M. RHP Ryan Weiss (2-4, 3.84) takes the ball for the Cougars against RHP Cole Duensing (5-3, 4.21). Follow the action live with Joe Brand on AM 1280 WBIG or on kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 22, 2019
- Snappers fall as McIntyre scuffles in second-half debut - Beloit Snappers
- Pair of Narrow Victories Drive Doubleheader Sweep - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Win on Walkoff Wild Pitch - Peoria Chiefs
- Thanks for the Wild Pitches - Great Lakes Loons
- Casanova, Winder Lead Kernels in Narrow Tilt - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Four Run First Helps Bandits to Victory - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Keating Tosses Six Scoreless in 11-Inning Loss - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Losing Streak Swells to Six Games - Clinton LumberKings
- Captains Pull Rank on Whitecaps - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Return Favor, 4-1 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Royalty Commands Whitecaps - Lake County Captains
- Wisconsin Shuts Out Clinton to Win Third Straight - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons Limit Lansing to 4 Hits in 4-1 Win - Dayton Dragons
- LumberKings Come Home for Seven-Game Stand - Clinton LumberKings
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 22 at Great Lakes (Game 71) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- No-No Caps Doubleheader Sweep - Lake County Captains
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kane County Cougars Stories
- Cougars Reveal Promotional Lineup for 2020 Season
- Cougars Announce Seasonal Job Fair Scheduled for February 8 and 23
- Cougars Announce Capital Improvements Ahead of 30th Anniversary Season
- Cougars Reveal Economic Impact Statement
- Harrison Returns to Manage Cougars for 2020 Season