Four Run First Helps Bandits to Victory
Beloit, WI - Both the Quad Cities River Bandits and Beloit Snappers scored their runs in the same four innings on Saturday night at Pohlman Field. The difference was the River Bandits four run outburst in the top of the first inning that led to a 7-4 victory. Quad Cities pounded 12 hits in the game and seven of the nine starters finished with at least one.
The Bandits (2-1, 45-24) grabbed their early lead against Beloit's all-star right-hander Aiden McIntyre in the top of the first. Ross Adolph opened the game with a double and promptly stole third base. Jeremy Pena drove him in with a single up the middle to give the Bandits a quick 1-0 start. With two outs, Oscar Campos dropped a base hit into shallow center that plated Pena and doubled the advantage. The inning was extended via a walk from Alex McKenna and Cesar Salazar followed with a booming double off the wall in left to make it 4-0.
Beloit (1-2, 28-43) answered with a single run in the bottom half of the inning against Bandits all-star starter Brett Daniels. Joseph Pena was hit by a pitch to start the frame and raced to third on Cobie Vance's ensuing double. John Jones put the Snappers on the board with an RBI single that reduced the deficit to 4-1.
The two teams traded single runs the rest of the way, scoring in the fourth, fifth and ninth innings. Pena's run-scoring single in the top of the fourth was negated by a bases loaded walk to Skyler Weber in the home half that kept the margin at three runs with a 5-2 score.
In the fifth, Salazar notched his third RBI of the night with a base hit up the middle and Beloit answered with a run in the bottom half when John Jones rolled into a double play with runners on the corners. The final run for each team scored in the final frame. Freudis Nova scored Michael Wielansky with a line drive to shallow center in the Bandits half and Beloit got their run via sacrifice fly from Vance. Riley Cabral struck out Jones looking with a runner on first to end the game.
Four different River Bandits finished the game with multiple hits. Ross Adolph led the way with three hits and Pena, Campos and Salazar had two each. Salazar drove in three runs and Pena added two RBI of his own. Vance closed the night with three hits for Beloit including a pair of doubles.
Joey Gonzalez picked up the win by tossing 3.0 innings out of the pen and allowing just one run on five hits. The save belonged to Cabral after he surrendered one run in 2.0 innings to close the game. Daniels lasted 4.0 innings, giving up two runs, one earned, on a pair of hits and four walks. He struck out six Snappers.
The River Bandits close out their series in Beloit with a Sunday afternoon showdown beginning at 2:00 p.m. The match-up on the mound will feature RHP Matt Ruppenthal (2-1, 2.93) of the Bandits squaring off with RHP Chase Cohen (4-7, 6.65) of Beloit.
All River Bandits games are broadcast on 1170 K-BOB and TuneIn Radio. Home games are also available with video on MiLB.TV.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 22, 2019
- Snappers fall as McIntyre scuffles in second-half debut - Beloit Snappers
- Pair of Narrow Victories Drive Doubleheader Sweep - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Win on Walkoff Wild Pitch - Peoria Chiefs
- Thanks for the Wild Pitches - Great Lakes Loons
- Casanova, Winder Lead Kernels in Narrow Tilt - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Four Run First Helps Bandits to Victory - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Keating Tosses Six Scoreless in 11-Inning Loss - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Losing Streak Swells to Six Games - Clinton LumberKings
- Captains Pull Rank on Whitecaps - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Return Favor, 4-1 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Royalty Commands Whitecaps - Lake County Captains
- Wisconsin Shuts Out Clinton to Win Third Straight - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons Limit Lansing to 4 Hits in 4-1 Win - Dayton Dragons
- LumberKings Come Home for Seven-Game Stand - Clinton LumberKings
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 22 at Great Lakes (Game 71) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- No-No Caps Doubleheader Sweep - Lake County Captains
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Quad Cities River Bandits Stories
- Movies at Modern Woodmen Park
- River Bandits and Genesis Team up on COVID-19 T-Shirt
- MiLB Season Suspended for 2020 and on Hiatus Until 2021
- River Bandits/Purina to Hold Pet Food Pantry at Modern Woodmen Park
- River Bandits/Genesis PPE Drive at Modern Woodmen Park