Dragons Notes for Saturday
Saturday, June 22, 2019 l Game # 3 (73)
Fifth Third Field l Dayton, Ohio l 7:08 p.m.
TV: Dayton's CW (26) l Radio: Fox Sports 980 WONE
Lansing Lugnuts (1-1, 33-38) at Dayton Dragons (1-1, 29-43)
RH Fitz Stadler (1-5, 6.31) vs. RH Ricky Salinas (2-3, 4.27)
Today's Game: The Dayton Dragons (affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds) meet the Lansing Lugnuts (affiliate of the Toronto Blue Jays) in the third game of a four-game series.
Last Game: Friday: Lansing 4, Dayton 0. Lugnuts pitchers Troy Watson, Joey Pulido, and Cre Finfrock combined on a four-hit shutout as Lansing evened the series at one win apiece. The Lugnuts took a 1-0 lead when the second batter of the game, Otto Lopez, hit a solo home run, and they added two more in the sixth and one in the ninth. The Dragons had only two base runners after the second inning. The Dragons only extra base hit was a double by Jay Schuyler. Brian Rey was 0 for 3 to snap his nine-game hitting streak.
In the month of June, the Dragons have a record of 12-5. In June, they are seventh in the MWL in team batting (.239); third in runs scored; and first in stolen bases (28). On the mound, they rank fourth in team ERA (2.88).
Over the first 35 games of the 2019 season, the Dragons team ERA was 5.45 (last in the league). In the 37 games played since then (since May 11), the team ERA is 3.56, which ranks fifth in the MWL during the period.
Dragons starting pitchers in 23 games since May 25 have posted an ERA of 2.72 (109 IP, 33 ER) to lower their full-season ERA from 5.07 to 4.44.
Dragons relievers since May 1 have posted an ERA of 3.68 (190.2 IP, 78 ER) and lowered their full-season ERA from 5.70 to 4.50.
On Friday night, the Dragons climbed out of 16th (last) place in the MWL team ERA rankings, moving ahead of West Michigan. They last ranked higher than 16th on April 25. The team ERA for the year is 4.47.
Michael Siani over his last 23 games dating back to May 24 is batting .345 with two home runs, 21 runs scored, and 13 stolen bases to raise his batting average 65 points from .170 to .235. In the month of June, Siani leads the league in hits (23), stolen bases (12), and runs (15). He ranks fourth in batting average (.343).
Randy Ventura had an 11-game hitting streak snapped on Thursday. In his last 12 games, he is batting .390 (16 for 41) to raise his average from .138 to .286. He is batting .364 in June to rank second in the Midwest League.
Brian Rey over his last 10 games is 11 for 35 (.314) with two home runs.
Reliever Matt Pidich over his last 10 games: 1.35 ERA, 20 IP, 8 R, 3 ER, 10 H, 9 BB, 19 SO.
Reliever Connor Bennett in his last seven appearances has earned two wins and five saves. He is tied for third in the MWL in saves with eight. He is tied for the league lead in appearances with 26.
Upcoming Probable Pitchers (Game times are Dayton time) (All games on WONE 980 AM and www.daytondragons.com)
Sunday, June 23 (2:08 p.m.): Lansing RH Troy Miller (2-3, 4.85) at Dayton TBA TV: Dayton's CW (23)
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 22, 2019
- Snappers fall as McIntyre scuffles in second-half debut - Beloit Snappers
- Pair of Narrow Victories Drive Doubleheader Sweep - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Win on Walkoff Wild Pitch - Peoria Chiefs
- Thanks for the Wild Pitches - Great Lakes Loons
- Casanova, Winder Lead Kernels in Narrow Tilt - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Four Run First Helps Bandits to Victory - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Keating Tosses Six Scoreless in 11-Inning Loss - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Losing Streak Swells to Six Games - Clinton LumberKings
- Captains Pull Rank on Whitecaps - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Return Favor, 4-1 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Royalty Commands Whitecaps - Lake County Captains
- Wisconsin Shuts Out Clinton to Win Third Straight - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons Limit Lansing to 4 Hits in 4-1 Win - Dayton Dragons
- LumberKings Come Home for Seven-Game Stand - Clinton LumberKings
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 22 at Great Lakes (Game 71) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- No-No Caps Doubleheader Sweep - Lake County Captains
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Dragons Stories
- Dragons Special 50/50 Raffle to Benefit COVID-19 Response Fund & African-American Community Fund
- Dayton Dragons 2020 Season Is Cancelled
- Dayton Dragons Issue Statement Regarding Governor's Order
- Dayton Dragons 2020 Team Preview, Part 3: Second Basemen
- Dayton Dragons 2020 Team Preview, Part 2: First Basemen