TinCaps Game Notes: July 12 at Burlington (Game 89)
Fort Wayne TinCaps (6-14, 39-49) @ Burlington Bees (9-11, 48-42)
LHP Omar Cruz vs. LHP Hector Yan
Friday, July 12 - Community Field (Burlington, Iowa) - First Pitch 7:30 PM (Game 89 / 138)
LISTEN: John Nolan (ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn)
LAST GAME: The TinCaps were shut out by the Bees, 5-0.
DROUGHT: During a 3-game losing streak, the TinCaps have scored 1 run on 10 hits. Fort Wayne has only 1 extra-base hit in this period, a double from Lee Solomon on Wednesday night.
IN CONTROL: TinCaps pitchers have the best ratio of strikeouts to walks in the MWL this season (3.06). 'Caps pitchers have also walked the fewest batters in the MWL, averaging only 3.0 per 9 innings.
SHUTTING THE DOOR: Fort Wayne's bullpen has been lights out the last 5 games, tossing 21.1 innings with 0 earned runs, 25 Ks, and only 9 hits/5 walks.
SWEET ROAD CHICAGO: Thanks to the Padres, TinCaps players and staff spent Tuesday's off-day in Chicago. The team toured the Willis Tower Skydeck, The Bean at Millennium Park, and Navy Pier, while capping the day off with a boat tour of Lake Michigan and an Italian dinner.
ROSTER MOVES: On Friday, righty reliever Matt Brash was transferred back to the AZL Padres, while righty reliever Edwuin Bencomo joined the team from the AZL. Meanwhile, on Tuesday, the Padres promoted infielder Xavier Edwards from Fort Wayne to the High-A Lake Elsinore Storm. Edwards exits as the MWL leader in batting average (.336) and hits (103). Edwards also ranked 2nd in swinging strike % (4%), 3rd in OBP (.392), 4th in stolen bases (20), 4th in K% (10%), 6th in BB/K (0.86), and tied for 9th in triples (4)... Infielder Luke Becker has joined the 'Caps from the Short-Season Tri-City Dust Devils. See Page 4 for more on Becker... Last Saturday starting pitcher Gabe Mosser was also promoted to High-A.
TBT: Fort Wayne won its lone Midwest League Championship here in 2009. The 'Caps clinched a 3-0 series sweep on Thursday, Sept. 17. The TinCaps had 19 players over the course of that season who went on to make the big leagues, a Class A record.
THEY SAY IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY: TinCaps outfielder Dwanya Williams-Sutton celebrated his 22nd birthday Wednesday, the latest in a string of Fort Wayne players blowing out the birthday candles. Outfielder Michael Curry turned 22 on the 4th of July, while Austin Smith turned 23 on Tuesday and Grant Little turned 22 on Monday.
MAKING HIS MARK: Infielder Tucupita Marcano has the lowest K% (9%) and 2nd lowest swinging strike % (4%) in the MWL. Tucu's bat control has been particularly noteworthy as of late. The 19-year-old has struck out just 4 times in his last 12 games (49 ABs) while drawing 4 walks.
MEXICAN POWER: Outfielder Agustin Ruiz launched 4 homers over a 14-game span from June 8-26 after not homering in his first 51 games of the season... His 43 RBIs on the year tie him for 11th in the MWL... 21% of the balls he's put in play have been line drives, the 4th highest LD% in the league.
LITTLE PLAYING BIG: Outfielder Grant Little tied a career-high with 4 hits on Saturday at Great Lakes. His only other 4-hit game as a pro came on May 20 against South Bend. After a pair of doubles Saturday, Little has 7 doubles in 18 second-half games. (He had 7 doubles in 48 games before the All-Star break.)
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 12, 2019
- Hot Rods Fall 5-4 and Suffer Sweep to Snappers - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Cougars Offense Explodes in South Bend Demolition - Kane County Cougars
- Captains Escape Clinton with Narrow Win - Lake County Captains
- 'Caps Batter Bees, 12-1 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cougars Power Past Cubs 10-1 in Series Finale - South Bend Cubs
- Fort Wayne Smashes Bees' Streak - Burlington Bees
- Distillers Drop Close One Friday - Peoria Chiefs
- Ninth Inning Rally Falls One Run Short - Clinton LumberKings
- Manzanero's Home Run Is Not Enough as Dragons Fall to Wisconsin, 4-2 - Dayton Dragons
- Pitching Propels Loons to Series Sweep - Great Lakes Loons
- River Bandits Win Rubber Match in West Michigan 6-2 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Loons Lift off for Shutout, Series Sweep - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Wisconsin Beats Dragons 4-2 to Take Series - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 12 at Burlington (Game 89) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Border Battle Returns to Dow Diamond - Great Lakes Loons
- Dragons Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- Former TinCaps Back on the Field
- Fort Wayne TinCaps Lose 2020 Baseball Season
- TinCaps Offering Meal Kits for Both Families and Couples
- Parkview Foundation Accepting Donations Toward TinCaps Meal Kits for Healthcare Workers
- 2-Person Meal Kits Now Offered by TinCaps