Timbers to Face Los Angeles FC in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Quarterfinal on July 10
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers will face Los Angeles FC at Banc of California Stadium in the quarterfinal of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup on Wednesday, July 10, it was determined after LAFC defeated the San Jose Earthquakes 3-1 at home in the Round of 16 on Thursday night. The Timbers' second road match of their 2019 U.S. Open Cup campaign will begin at 7:30 p.m. (Pacific).
The Timbers advanced to the quarterfinal for a second consecutive season and the fourth time in club history (2013, 2014, 2018, 2019), following a 4-0 victory over the LA Galaxy at Providence Park in their Round of 16 match on June 19. Brian Fernandez finished the match with a goal and an assist, while Sebastián Blanco and Jorge Moreira each tallied goals for Portland. Since 2013, Portland has nine victories over MLS teams in U.S. Open Cup play, which is tied for second-most during that span. Additionally, the win was also the largest shutout victory the club has ever had in the competition.
The July 10 contest will be the third meeting between Portland and LAFC across all competitions this season, and marks the second time the two teams meet in the U.S. Open Cup. In last season's U.S. Open Cup quarterfinal matchup, the Timbers fell 3-2 to LAFC at Banc of California Stadium on July 18, 2018.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 21, 2019
- Toronto FC Sign Academy Product Jacob Shaffelburg - Toronto FC
- #FCDvTOR: 5Things You Need to Know About the Match - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Returns to League Action to Face the Chicago Fire on Saturday - Real Salt Lake
- New England Revolution, Gabriel Somi Mutually Agree to Terminate Contract - New England Revolution
- Carlos Vela and Walker Zimmerman Selected to 2019 MLS All-Star Fan XI - Los Angeles FC
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Jonathan dos Santos Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Fan XI Presented by Target - LA Galaxy
- 2019 MLS All-Star Fan XI Presented by Target Features Scoring Sensations, Young Stars, Global Icons and Record Newcomers - MLS
- Wayne Rooney Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Fan XI Presented by Target - D.C. United
- Saturday's LA Galaxy Game Is Sold Out - FC Cincinnati
- FC Dallas Signs 26th Homegrown Player Ricardo Pepi - FC Dallas
- Preview: Sporting Continues MLS Campaign in Columbus - Sporting Kansas City
- Vako scores Quakes' lone goal; SJ forces eight saves by Sisniega - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Advances to the Quarterfinals of Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup with 3-1 Victory against San Jose - Los Angeles FC
- Timbers to Face Los Angeles FC in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Quarterfinal on July 10 - Portland Timbers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers Complete Transfer of Chilean International Forward Felipe Mora from Pumas UNAM
- Timbers Acquire First-Round Pick in 2021 MLS SuperDraft from LA Galaxy in Exchange for Defender Jorge Villafana
- Timbers Sign Defender Larrys Mabiala to Multi-Year Contract Extension
- Jeremy Ebobisse, Eryk Williamson Called up by U-23 U.S. Men's National Team for Combined Preparation Camp
- Timbers Acquire Defender Claudio Bravo