LAFC Advances to the Quarterfinals of Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup with 3-1 Victory against San Jose
The Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) advanced to the quarterfinals in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup with a 3-1 win over the San Jose Earthquakes on Thursday night at Banc of California Stadium. LAFC will next face the Portland Timbers in the quarterfinals of Open Cup play on July 10 at 7:30 p.m. at Banc of California Stadium. Ticket on sale information will be released tomorrow.
Vako opened the scoring for San Jose with a feed from Christian Espinoza in the 7th minute. The Black and Gold would even it up in the 35th minute with a beautiful pass from Lee Nguyen to Diego Rossi for the finish, his sixth career U.S. Open Cup goal in as many games.
The home team continued to surge in the second half, with Adama Diomande putting LAFC ahead in the 60th minute on a close range shot with perfect service from Rossi. In the 85th minute, MLS MVP candidate Carlos Vela put the game away with off an assist from Tristan Blackmon.
LAFC goalkeeper Pablo Sisniega continued to impress in his first start at Banc of California Stadium, making eight saves, including a key stop on a close range shot in the 63rd minute. LAFC remains unbeaten in its last ten matches across all competitions.
The oldest, longest-running national competition in the country, the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup was founded in 1914 and features clubs from all divisions and leagues of American soccer.
LAFC returns to league play on Friday, June 28 on the road against the Colorado Rapids at 7:00 p.m. PT at DICK's Sporting Goods Park (UniMás, ESPN 710 AM, KFWB 980 AM).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 21, 2019
- Toronto FC Sign Academy Product Jacob Shaffelburg - Toronto FC
- #FCDvTOR: 5Things You Need to Know About the Match - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Returns to League Action to Face the Chicago Fire on Saturday - Real Salt Lake
- New England Revolution, Gabriel Somi Mutually Agree to Terminate Contract - New England Revolution
- Carlos Vela and Walker Zimmerman Selected to 2019 MLS All-Star Fan XI - Los Angeles FC
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Jonathan dos Santos Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Fan XI Presented by Target - LA Galaxy
- 2019 MLS All-Star Fan XI Presented by Target Features Scoring Sensations, Young Stars, Global Icons and Record Newcomers - MLS
- Wayne Rooney Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Fan XI Presented by Target - D.C. United
- Saturday's LA Galaxy Game Is Sold Out - FC Cincinnati
- FC Dallas Signs 26th Homegrown Player Ricardo Pepi - FC Dallas
- Preview: Sporting Continues MLS Campaign in Columbus - Sporting Kansas City
- Vako scores Quakes' lone goal; SJ forces eight saves by Sisniega - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Advances to the Quarterfinals of Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup with 3-1 Victory against San Jose - Los Angeles FC
- Timbers to Face Los Angeles FC in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Quarterfinal on July 10 - Portland Timbers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles FC Stories
- LAFC to Face Club Leon from Mexico in 2020 CONCACAF Champions League
- LAFC Continues to be a Force for Good in Los Angeles Throughout the Holiday Season
- Larry Freedman Named Doug Hamilton Executive of the Year by MLS
- LAFC to Host Expansion Side Inter Miami Cf in 2020 MLS Regular Season Home Opener
- LAFC Announces Roster Moves Following Record-Breaking Season