Timbers, Thorns FC Announce Expanded Partnership with Special Olympics Oregon
RTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers and Portland Thorns FC today announced a new expanded partnership with Special Olympics Oregon (SOOR), with SOOR volunteers selling tickets as part of the 50/50 raffle program, offering SOOR the opportunity to promote and raise funds for their organization, and Providence Park playing host to three Special Olympics events between June and November 2019.
"We are so proud to continue our longstanding partnership with SOOR and we are proud to host their amazing athletes at Providence Park," said Mike Golub, president of business for the Timbers and Thorns FC.
Throughout select matches, SOOR volunteers will sell tickets with 50 percent of the gross proceeds collected going to one randomly selected fan, while the remaining proceeds net of the raffle expenses will support the mission of SOOR and Stand Together's Fields for All initiative with Operation Pitch Invasion. Select raffles throughout the summer also will be multi-day rollover jackpots from both the Timbers and Thorns FC games.
Further strengthening the partnership with the clubs and SOOR, Providence Park will play host to the 2019 SOOR Summer Soccer Invitational presented by Daimler on June 7-8, the second leg of the Unified Sports match, presented by Providence Health & Services, between the SOOR Timbers and Special Olympics Washington (SOWA) Sounders (Aug. 23) and the Fall Games presented by Providence Health & Services on Nov. 16.
"On behalf of SOOR, we are thrilled to grow our long-standing partnership with the Timbers, Thorns FC and Providence Park with so many important initiatives throughout the season," said Britt Oase, CEO of Special Olympics Oregon. "These amazing opportunities allow our athletes and unified partners from around the state to showcase their talents on the pitch in front of family, friends and fans. The 50/50 raffle will be a wonderful chance to raise funds and awareness, while connecting the community and soccer supporters to our mission."
On June 7, the SOOR Summer Soccer Invitational begins with a school-day soccer clinic for local elementary and middle school students with and without intellectual disabilities, as well as health and wellness activities, featured soccer matches and a concert at Providence Park. The tournament will continue on June 8 after opening ceremonies in the morning, with SOOR Unified Sports high school and adult soccer teams taking part as well as traditional adult soccer teams. In addition to sponsorship support from Daimler Trucks North America, this event is made possible through generous partnerships with the Timbers and Thorns FC, Providence Health & Services and Special Olympics International.
Entering its ninth year, the Unified Sports exchange matches, presented by Providence Health & Services, will feature a two-leg series between the SOOR Timbers and the SOWA Sounders. This home-and-away series highlights players with and without intellectual disabilities, competing alongside each other as they represent their hometown club. After the first leg in Seattle on July 21, the two teams will square off in the second leg on Aug. 23 ahead of the Timbers vs. Seattle Sounders FC match at Providence Park. The Special Olympics Cascadia unified soccer exchange series is the longest standing rivalry in what has become a league-wide partnership with Major League Soccer (MLS) and Special Olympics North America.
Concluding the slate of events is the Fall Games presented by Providence Health & Services on Nov. 16. This regional, one-day event will feature four fields and 12-15 teams competing as part of the tournament with opening ceremonies scheduled to kick off the games.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 16, 2019
- Know Your Opponent | FC Cincinnati - Orlando City SC
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Loans Stefan Cleveland, Grant Lillard to Lansing Ignite FC - Chicago Fire
- Nashville SC to Acquire MLS Winger David Accam in Trade with Columbus Crew SC - Nashville SC
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires General and Targeted Allocation Money in Trade with Nashville SC - Columbus Crew SC
- Timbers, Thorns FC Announce Expanded Partnership with Special Olympics Oregon - Portland Timbers
- Match Preview: New York and Atlanta Set for Primetime Sunday Matchup - New York Red Bulls
- FC Dallas Visits LAFC Tonight: 5 Things You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Players Grilled Cheeses at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- Sounders FC Wins Second in a Row with 2-1 Victory over Orlando City - Seattle Sounders FC
- Crepeau stands tall, but 'Caps fall in tight match versus defending champs - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Atlanta United Defeats Vancouver Whitecaps FC 1-0 for MLS Record Fifth Consecutive Shutout Victory - Atlanta United FC
- Orlando City Falls 2-1 at Seattle - Orlando City SC
- Timbers Earn Point on the Road in Draw with Houston Dynamo - Portland Timbers
- Dynamo Draw Portland 1-1 to Continue Strong Start to Season - Houston Dynamo
- Chelsea FC Tops Revolution, 3-0, in "Final Whistle on Hate" Charity Match - New England Revolution
- Toronto FC (0) - D.C. United (0) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers to Host LA Galaxy in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 on Wednesday, June 19
- Timbers Register 2-1 Win against Seattle Sounders FC in Fourth Round of Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup
- Timbers Weekly Update: June 11, 2019
- Timbers Broadcast Team Wins 2019 Northwest Regional Emmy Award
- Marco Farfan, Eryk Williamson Called into U.S. U-23 National Team Camp