Match Preview: New York and Atlanta Set for Primetime Sunday Matchup
RRISON, N.J. - The 2018 Eastern Conference Final rematch between the New York Red Bulls (4-5-2, 14 pts) and Atlanta United FC (6-3-2, 20 pts) is set for Sunday on national TV at Red Bull Arena. Opening kick is slated for 5 p.m. ET with coverage on FS1, FOX Sports Go and New York Red Bulls Radio on TuneIn.
New York Red Bulls Radio begins at 4:30 p.m. ET with Countdown to Kickoff, presented by Honda, hosted by Matt Harmon and Steve Jolley. Ernesto Motta will carry the Spanish play-by-play, beginning at 5 p.m.
New York and Atlanta will clash for the fifth time in league play with all four previous matchups being featured on national television. The Red Bulls own a 1-0-1 edge in MLS action at Red Bull Arena and haven't allowed a goal across all competitions in three previous meetings at RBA. The Red Bulls and Atlanta will be broadcast on FS1 for the fifth time overall with New York owning a 3-0-1 mark and a plus-four goal differential (6 GF, 2 GA).
After a slow 1-3-1 start to the 2019 season, the Red Bulls have bounced back with a 3-2-1 mark over the last six matches to raise their overall season record to 4-5-2. New York has won three of their last four matches and have outscored their opponents, 8-5. During their bounce back stretch, the Red Bulls have seen nine different goal scorers in their 10 total goals with Brian White leading the run with two goals.
Daniel Royer has opened up his 2019 scoring ledger as the clubhouse leader with five goals and four assists across all competitions and two goals and three assists in league play. Of Royer's 26 career league goals, three have come at important times against Atlanta. The Austrian winger tallied the equalizer in the 2017 season opener en route to a 2-1 win and then scored the equalizer on May 20, 2018 which led to a 3-1 victory at Mercedes-Benz Stadium. Royer's third goal against Atlanta was the eventual game-winner in a 2-0 win on Sept. 30, 2018 at RBA.
New York will have a quick turnaround as they host Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Wednesday, May 22 at Red Bull Arena. Kickoff is slated for 8 p.m. ET with coverage on MSG+, TSN and New York Red Bulls Radio on TuneIn.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 16, 2019
- Know Your Opponent | FC Cincinnati - Orlando City SC
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Loans Stefan Cleveland, Grant Lillard to Lansing Ignite FC - Chicago Fire
- Nashville SC to Acquire MLS Winger David Accam in Trade with Columbus Crew SC - Nashville SC
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires General and Targeted Allocation Money in Trade with Nashville SC - Columbus Crew SC
- Timbers, Thorns FC Announce Expanded Partnership with Special Olympics Oregon - Portland Timbers
- Match Preview: New York and Atlanta Set for Primetime Sunday Matchup - New York Red Bulls
- FC Dallas Visits LAFC Tonight: 5 Things You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Players Grilled Cheeses at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- Sounders FC Wins Second in a Row with 2-1 Victory over Orlando City - Seattle Sounders FC
- Crepeau stands tall, but 'Caps fall in tight match versus defending champs - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Atlanta United Defeats Vancouver Whitecaps FC 1-0 for MLS Record Fifth Consecutive Shutout Victory - Atlanta United FC
- Orlando City Falls 2-1 at Seattle - Orlando City SC
- Timbers Earn Point on the Road in Draw with Houston Dynamo - Portland Timbers
- Dynamo Draw Portland 1-1 to Continue Strong Start to Season - Houston Dynamo
- Chelsea FC Tops Revolution, 3-0, in "Final Whistle on Hate" Charity Match - New England Revolution
- Toronto FC (0) - D.C. United (0) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- Match Preview: New York Wraps up Two-Match Road Trip at Orlando
- Red Bulls Drop Mid-Week Road Match at Toronto, 3-1
- Match Preview: New York Travels North for Mid-Week Matchup Versus Toronto
- Red Bulls Complete Comeback, Defeat NYCFC, 2-1
- Match Preview: First Edition of the 2019 New York Derby Set for Sunday