Nashville SC to Acquire MLS Winger David Accam in Trade with Columbus Crew SC
SHVILLE (May 16, 2019) - Nashville Soccer Club will acquire Major League Soccer winger David Accam from Columbus Crew SC for $350,000 in General Allocation Money and $100,000 in Targeted Allocation Money. The deal will be made official with Major League Soccer on January 1, 2020, and Accam will continue to play for Crew SC in 2019.
"The 2019 season is a one-year runway for us to prepare for the 2020 MLS season, and our staff has been really thoughtful about how our roster will be constructed," said Nashville SC GM Mike Jacobs. "The idea of adding players is not necessarily about simply finding 'good players', but rather about finding 'players that are good for Nashville.' The scouting and recruitment of prospects has been really diligent, and our staff have been very strategic about identifying players that we believe will enable us to pursue excellence."
Accam, 28, is a Ghanaian international and has scored 38 career goals in MLS since joining the league in 2015. As a member of the Chicago Fire from 2015-17, Accam scored 33 goals and added 15 assists in three seasons, including a career high 14 goals and eight assists in 2017. After spending the 2018 season and the beginning of this season with the Philadelphia Union, Accam was traded from Philadelphia to Columbus on May 8.
He has gotten off to a fast start in 2019, with four goals and two assists in just eight appearances for the Union and one for Crew SC. He was named the MLS Player of the Week in Week 4 following a two-goal, one-assist performance in a 3-0 win with Philadelphia over Columbus on March 23.
"David is a very exciting player," said Smith. "He has exceptionally good pace, he's shown throughout his career that he's a good creator, able to get himself on the score sheet and be a difference-maker in front of goal. He is an incredibly exciting player for the club to have landed."
Accam made his international debut with Ghana on January 19, 2015 in the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations, helping Ghana to a runner-up finish at the tournament. In all, Accam has made nine caps for Ghana at the international level, including his most recent appearance against the USA on July 1, 2017.
The Ghanaian forward started his professional career in Sweden in 2012, signing with Ostersunds FK in the Swedish third division. After scoring nine goals in 14 appearances, Accam was transferred to Helsingborgs IF of Sweden's top division, Allsvenskan, for 2 million SEK, at the time the highest transfer fee for a player from the third division in Swedish soccer history. Between 2012 and 2014 with Helsingborgs IF, Accam made 62 appearances and scored 30 goals.
In the 2012-13 season with Helsingborgs IF, Accam made two UEFA Champions League qualifying appearances and six Europa League group stage appearances.
Transaction: Nashville SC acquired F David Accam from Columbus Crew SC in exchange for $350,000 in General Allocation Money, $100,000 in Targeted Allocation Money. The trade will be made official with MLS on Jan. 1, 2020.
Birthdate: September 28, 1990
Birthplace: Accra, Ghana
Hometown: Accra, Ghana
Last Club: Columbus Crew SC (MLS)
MLS Roster Status: Domestic - U.S. Green Card
How Acquired: Via trade from Columbus Crew SC in exchange for $350,000 in General Allocation Money and $100,000 in Targeted Allocation Money.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 16, 2019
- Know Your Opponent | FC Cincinnati - Orlando City SC
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Loans Stefan Cleveland, Grant Lillard to Lansing Ignite FC - Chicago Fire
- Nashville SC to Acquire MLS Winger David Accam in Trade with Columbus Crew SC - Nashville SC
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires General and Targeted Allocation Money in Trade with Nashville SC - Columbus Crew SC
- Timbers, Thorns FC Announce Expanded Partnership with Special Olympics Oregon - Portland Timbers
- Match Preview: New York and Atlanta Set for Primetime Sunday Matchup - New York Red Bulls
- FC Dallas Visits LAFC Tonight: 5 Things You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Players Grilled Cheeses at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- Sounders FC Wins Second in a Row with 2-1 Victory over Orlando City - Seattle Sounders FC
- Crepeau stands tall, but 'Caps fall in tight match versus defending champs - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Atlanta United Defeats Vancouver Whitecaps FC 1-0 for MLS Record Fifth Consecutive Shutout Victory - Atlanta United FC
- Orlando City Falls 2-1 at Seattle - Orlando City SC
- Timbers Earn Point on the Road in Draw with Houston Dynamo - Portland Timbers
- Dynamo Draw Portland 1-1 to Continue Strong Start to Season - Houston Dynamo
- Chelsea FC Tops Revolution, 3-0, in "Final Whistle on Hate" Charity Match - New England Revolution
- Toronto FC (0) - D.C. United (0) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville SC Stories
- Nashville SC to Hold Open Tryouts for 2020 Inaugural MLS Season
- We Are One Nashville Under Gold
- Nashville SC MLS Season Tickets on Sale to the General Public
- David Accam to Provide Experience to New Nashville SC Side in MLS
- Nashville SC to Acquire MLS Winger David Accam in Trade with Columbus Crew SC