Atlanta United Defeats Vancouver Whitecaps FC 1-0 for MLS Record Fifth Consecutive Shutout Victory
NCOUVER, British Columbia - Atlanta United beat Vancouver Whitecaps FC 1-0 Wednesday night at BC Place for an MLS record fifth straight clean sheet victory. Josef Martinez buried his fifth goal of the season on a penalty kick in the first half as Atlanta earned its 12th point in the last 11 days. It was also Brad Guzan's sixth shutout of the season to run his clean sheet streak to 456 minutes.
Atlanta was awarded a penalty in the 28th minute after Pity Martinez was brought down inside the box. The play began when Josef Martinez and Brek Shea combined for a give and go on the left side where Martinez sent a cross through the six-yard box that was partially cleared and quickly dumped back in the box. Pity Martinez found the ball, made a move towards goal and was dragged down by Vancouver's Lass Bangoura. The Venezuelan stepped to the spot and placed his shot into the right side of the goal with enough pace to beat a diving Maxime Crépeau in the 29th minute.
Atlanta produced several chances to extend its lead in the second half, most notably in the 59th minute when it had three shots on target in quick succession. Tito Villalba sprinted behind Vancouver's backline on a counter and took a low shot that was blocked by Crépeau. The ball bounced to a trailing Josef Martinez who quickly found Eric Remedi on the left side of the box where the Argentine midfielder ripped another shot on goal but was again blocked by Crépeau. An attempted clearance was immediately met by a diving header from Pity Martinez, but Crépeau came up with his third save on the play.
Atlanta United (6-3-2, 20 points) returns to action Sunday, May 19 against New York Red Bulls at Red Bull Arena (5 p.m. EST, FS1, Sports Radio 92-9 The Game).
Atlanta United 1, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 0
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Shots: 17-7 Atlanta
Shots on Target: 6-2 Atlanta
Corner kicks: 5-4 Vancouver
Fouls committed: 15-13 Atlanta
Clearances: 17-10 Atlanta
Possession: 54-46 Vancouver
Passing Accuracy: 82-82
ATL - Josef Martinez 29' [HIGHLIGHT]
ATL - Franco Escobar 13' (yellow)
N - Ali Adnan 39' (yellow)
N - JoaquÃ-n Ardáiz 80' (yellow)
ATL - Eric Remedi 86' (yellow)
ATLANTA UNITED STARTING LINEUP
Brad Guzan; Leandro González Pirez, Franco Escobar, Florentin Pogna, Brek Shea; Jeff Larentowicz ©, Eric Remedi; Hector Villalba (Dion Pereira - 69'), Gonzalo Martinez (Miles Robinson - 82'), Justin Meram (Julian Gressel - 64'); Josef Martinez.
Substitutes not used: Alec Kann, Jon Gallagher, Romario Williams, Mikey Ambrose.
NCOUVER WHITECAPS FC STARTING LINEUP
Maxime Crépeau; Doneil Henry, Jakob Nerwinski, Ali Adnan, Erik Godoy; Hwang In-Beom, Russell Teibert (Andy Rose - 69'), Felipe (JoaquÃ-n Ardáiz - 78'); Lucas Venuto, Lass (Victor Giro - 64'), Fredy Montero ©.
Substitutes not used: Derek Cornelius, Brett Levis, Scott Sutter, Zac MacMath.
Baldomero Toledo (referee), Philippe Briere (assistant), Cory Richardson (assistant), Joe Dickerson (fourth), Alejandro Mariscal (R), Mauricio Navarro (assistant R)
With its fifth straight clean sheet win, Atlanta United set the MLS record for most consecutive shutout victories
Josef Martinez scored his team leading fifth goal of the season
Justin Meram and Florentin Pogba each made their first start for Atlanta United. It was Pogba's first appearance in MLS play.
Jeff Larentowicz made his 401st appearance and 377th start in MLS, both ranking third all-time among field players
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 16, 2019
- Know Your Opponent | FC Cincinnati - Orlando City SC
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Loans Stefan Cleveland, Grant Lillard to Lansing Ignite FC - Chicago Fire
- Nashville SC to Acquire MLS Winger David Accam in Trade with Columbus Crew SC - Nashville SC
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires General and Targeted Allocation Money in Trade with Nashville SC - Columbus Crew SC
- Timbers, Thorns FC Announce Expanded Partnership with Special Olympics Oregon - Portland Timbers
- Match Preview: New York and Atlanta Set for Primetime Sunday Matchup - New York Red Bulls
- FC Dallas Visits LAFC Tonight: 5 Things You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Players Grilled Cheeses at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- Sounders FC Wins Second in a Row with 2-1 Victory over Orlando City - Seattle Sounders FC
- Crepeau stands tall, but 'Caps fall in tight match versus defending champs - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Atlanta United Defeats Vancouver Whitecaps FC 1-0 for MLS Record Fifth Consecutive Shutout Victory - Atlanta United FC
- Orlando City Falls 2-1 at Seattle - Orlando City SC
- Timbers Earn Point on the Road in Draw with Houston Dynamo - Portland Timbers
- Dynamo Draw Portland 1-1 to Continue Strong Start to Season - Houston Dynamo
- Chelsea FC Tops Revolution, 3-0, in "Final Whistle on Hate" Charity Match - New England Revolution
- Toronto FC (0) - D.C. United (0) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- George Bello Named to USA Roster for 2019 FIFA U-17 World Cup in Brazil
- Atlanta United Reaches Contract Extension with Miles Robinson
- Time Change: Round 1 Match vs. New England Now 1 p.m.
- Atlanta United Set to Host New England Revolution October 19
- Atlanta United Win 3-1 against New England Revolution